Forum Discussion
Coops
5 years agoMember
Chemo decision
hi all
i had mastectomy on 21st December- it was lobular 55mm and multiple lesions
as a result I definitely need radiotherapy and hormone blocker
however they are suggesting I also have chemo due to size and multiple but I am not sure whether to do this as well or not as only improves outcome by about 6-7% and obviously concerned about side effects
has anyone else been in this position and what did you decide? Have the weekend to decide and if I go ahead with chemo I start next Friday
hoping someone can give some suggestions!
i had mastectomy on 21st December- it was lobular 55mm and multiple lesions
as a result I definitely need radiotherapy and hormone blocker
however they are suggesting I also have chemo due to size and multiple but I am not sure whether to do this as well or not as only improves outcome by about 6-7% and obviously concerned about side effects
has anyone else been in this position and what did you decide? Have the weekend to decide and if I go ahead with chemo I start next Friday
hoping someone can give some suggestions!
12 Replies
- FLCloverMember@Pommy8 this is an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn’t do chemo for such a small percentage. I didn’t actually do it because my onc said the hormone blockers would give me a better chance than chemo.I know it helps in lots of cases, but not in all. My onc said lots of patients tend to be over treated, and chemo damages other vital parts of the body for good.In terms of it getting rid of all the cancer cells, it’s already been confirmed by many specialists that we all have cancer cells in our bodies at any given time, so in that case it seems kind of pointless anyway for such a small percentage. I think it’s more important to find out what could have caused the cancer in the first place, and focus on fixing that.💟
- Pommy8MemberI'm borderline with only 2% extra throwing chemo into the mix really struggling what direction to take.
My cancer 8mm all removed lymph nodes clear. - Hi @Coops,
I was also really unsure with what to do, the benefit of chemo for me was 2-4% - in the end I decided to do it as well - and my side effects have been really minimal. I feared the worst but so far, I have bone aches for 2 days and a loss of taste / weird taste in my mouth for 4 days. I've lost some of my hair which has been the most traumatic but in the scheme of things chemo really hasn't hit me hard so I'm thankful I decided to do it! Best of luck xx - MicheleRMemberHi @Coops, my diagnosis sounds similar to yours. My profile has some of my story. Im 48 and because of my age they decided chemo was a good idea. The test they said would likely be inconclusive re chemo and they strongly advised chemo. Having done chemo i would say its doable but i hope never to do it again. And i guess thats the thing, i dont want to go through this again in 10 years. I wanted to give myself every chance of beating it. There are no guarantees of course.
Some people say that ilc is a bit unpredictable. Ive been asked a few times by nonhealth professionals if i shouldnt just lop the healthy one off. I hope a good poisoning and zapping of the offending area will stop that eventuating. :)
Its your body and your choice it seems. I didnt really have the choice.
Michele - ZoffielMemberGood choice @Coops. Lobular is sneaky on all levels and it really is wise to follow your gut feeling. Mxx
- CoopsMemberThat is such good news and am grateful for all the support and info
what an amazing group of strong women! - SisterMember@coops I had similar and as @afraser says, 6-7% doesn't sound a lot unless you're in it. Chemo is not fun but it is something you can get through and, if for some reason it becomes too difficult, you can always choose to stop. For me, I didn't want to find out a couple of years down the track that it had recurred and wonder if I should have done more.
- CoopsMemberThank you so much for your input and I am feeling much more comfortable with my decision now to go ahead-that was my gut feeling and I believe as women we should usually follow our I sti cts
good luck and thank you again - MazbethMemberHi @Coops, I was diagnosed with ILC in December 2019 - Just under 5cm. At first, my surgeon thought that I may be on the border for chemo, but after talking to the oncologist, I decided on chemo as that was his recommendation given the size. I did neo-adjuvant chemo (4 x AC, 12 x taxol) and handled it all pretty well - I did not experience many side effects and whatever I did have, I could manage. My benefit numbers were similar and I decided it was worth it. My breast care nurse also said to me to ‘throw everything at it’ and that was in my mind too. I know how hard it is when you ultimately have to make the decision.
I had a BMX - my decision - and I am now taking an AI. Pathology showed I had clear nodes and clear margins. I had to decide on radiation as the radiation oncologist said he was ‘comfortable if I did and comfortable if I didn’t’. 😯 I weighed everything up and decided not to. I made my decision after speaking with each of my surgeons and I am comfortable with what I decided.
All the best with your decision. - AbbydogMemberDear Coops,
I had the lot. (click on my name for my profile and more info re me)
I would do it again, as I like to think that I have thrown everything at my cancer.
I have been very lucky and not had bad side effects of Chemo.
I did have side effects, but manageable.
Ask about Cold Cap treatment if you would like to try to keep your hair.
I kept my hair, and had my eyebrows tattooed prior to Chemo.
All the best, stay in touch.