Forum Discussion
Blackduck
8 years agoMember
Here I go again.
I am 25 months post mastectomy, 4 rounds of TC chemo, no radiation, was then put on Exemestane which apparently is the rolls Royce of Tamoxifen and a Zoladex injection every 28 days. First diagnosed in July 2015, I decided on mastectomy. Tumour was measuring 4.4cms and was found to be very aggressive. Most common form of b/c was diagnosed, being 90% oestrogen and 90% progesterone positive. At my 2 year annual checkup a mass measuring 1.8 x 1.0 cms was detected in my other breast, this was not there 12 months ago. Biopsy has been performed and sadly this is another visit from breast cancer for me. My original surgery showed there to be NO lymph node involvement and the only reason for me having 4 rounds of chemo, as a precaution, was due to the aggressive nature of the tumour. My multidisciplinary team has told me that this is nothing to do with the original cancer and that this is extremely random as it only happens to 6% of women who have previously dealt with b/c.
This cancer is a 2nd primary and not a secondary from the original. There are no reasons as to why this has happened and I am struggling to get my head around it. I now have to make the decision as to whether I have another mastectomy or opt for the lumpectomy followed by radiation. Any advice, suggestions or information from others who have found themselves in this same situation would be greatly appreciated. Love to all xx
This cancer is a 2nd primary and not a secondary from the original. There are no reasons as to why this has happened and I am struggling to get my head around it. I now have to make the decision as to whether I have another mastectomy or opt for the lumpectomy followed by radiation. Any advice, suggestions or information from others who have found themselves in this same situation would be greatly appreciated. Love to all xx
35 Replies
- wannawomaMemberSending my best wishes for tomorrow Heather x
- ReggiewedgeMemberI'm a newbie, had a dble mastectomy, three different cancers, decided both to go for more peace of mind. Just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow and a speedy recovery. Sue
- primekMemberTake care. Hope all goes smoothly for you. Kath x
- BlackduckMemberWell the time has now arrived for me to have a second mastectomy tomorrow. The initial biopsy results are indicating that this time it's Her2-, Oestrogen- and very weak for progesterone so most likely to be a triple negative cancer. I have no fear of the surgery or healing afterwards as I have done this incredibly well 2 years ago. Hoping that things go well again for me. Thanks for all your advice and well wishes, take care. Hugs, Heather xx
- Hello Blackduck,
What an absolute horrible situation. I'm one of the 6%. I remember saying to someone "the good news is, it's a new primary cancer". they looked perplexed and said, "I've never hear anyone before say a primary cancer was good news". It's attitude, and experience that get you through. You know what you're in for this time, sort of. I had a lumpectomy 23 December 2013, with an invasive triple negative. Then, October 2016 I found a new mass on the other side. It was lobular, and all over the place, so it was hard for me to detect. This one had receptors, so it's a different beast. Had a mastectomy on the left, but they didn't take the right one at the time, and that's what I'm lining up for now. I've had 3 rounds of FEC and 9 rounds of Docetaxel/Cycophosphlamide in total, also total of 4 surgeries and 55 radio sessions, I think I would glow now under UV lights. For me, and I do have an allergic reaction for Doce, I did find the chemo tougher second time around, as I think I hadn't totally recovered from last time, I meant, let's face it, our bodies are never really the same again.. What I found harder the second time was there wasn't so much support, people are kind of tired of it, they remember you coped last time, and they are not as shocked. On the flip side though, I wasn't as worried this time. Yes, there are sleepless nights again, but it's a more familiar foe. Regarding what type of surgery, for me, 2 in 3 years is enough, I want them both off, they feel like ticking time bombs. I'm Bracca negative, but my family history is very, very strong. Between Mum, my sister and myself, we've had 5 cancers in 5 years. That's enough, all the breast are going. I felt huge relief after my first mastectomy. I really did feel all the cancer had gone. I'm very keen to have the second (hopefully not during Christmas this time, anyway, it's mum's turn again), just hoping I have some reconstruction options.
Best wishes through all this rubbish. - CookieMemberSo sorry to hear you have to go through this. I was first diagnosed in 2007 with invasive ductal carcinoma in the left breast. Lumpectomy, 6 weeks radiation and tamoxifen. Diagnosed again in 2013 with DCIS in right breast and had lumpectomy and sent for genetic testing which came back negative. Diagnosed the following year 2014 with invasive ducal carcinoma (higher grade so not a recurrance) in the left breast and suspicious area in the right breast which ended up being another small cancer. Was told I had to have a mastectomy but decided on a bilateral mastectomy. My surgeon backed my decision when I told him I couldn't go through this again. I was devastated at the thought of losing my breasts but I know it was the right decision for me.
Best wishes and whatever you decide will be the right decision for you. - louisegMemberHi there!
I am in the same boat except I was cancer free for 7 years before finding a new primary in the other breast. I had extensive (9cm) DCIS in 2003 at age 35 and had a mastectomy and reconstruction (TRAM) but no chemo or radiation nor hormone treatment at that time. The second diagnosis was in 2010 at age 42. This time it was 2.5cm invasive ductal carcinoma. No lymph node involvement. I had another mastectomy, lat dorsi with implant reconstruction, chemo (4 x TC) and I have now been on Tamoxifen for the past 7 years. I have recently found out that I have a gene mutation (PALB2 rather than the more common BRCA 1/2).
Apparently there is no difference in the survival rates between people who have mastectomies and people who have lumpectomies and radiation. I could have had a lumpectomy but after already going through it all once before, I didn't want to have to worry about a possible third diagnosis and so went for the more radical decision of a mastectomy again. My surgeon was 100% behind me.
Best of luck with your decision. If you want to chat any time, PM me.
Louise :) - Brenda5MemberYou and I are the same, except I was diagnosed later in the year in October. Mine did have node involvement and my treatment was mastectomy left side, auxillary clearance, 4 lots of chemo and now on Tamoxifen. I am awaiting the results of my mammogram and ultrasound and find out on the 7th of next month. I guess if there was anything too unusual they would have bumped up those appointments. I know there is what they call a cyst in the breast but the radiographer didn't sound to concerned about it. Hoping I slip under the radar and go another year without it coming back.
Probably the only good news of yours being a second primary is that it isnt a secondary one. You did it once girl and you can get over it again. If it was me, I would just do the mastectomy however I am 55 and only have the tiniest boob ever. During mammograms they have trouble getting enough to flatten for a picture. I have found the best treatment is the one the woman chooses for herself. We usually get it right. <3 - UnicornkissesMemberSo sorry to hear you are back there again @blackduck. What a shit of a thing!
Such a hard decision to make.
I tried a lumpectomy on my one breast affected, but pathology after surgery meant chemo, mastectomy and radiation.
I would rather have had a mastectomy the first time in hindsight but no one could see the extent of my cancer from the scans.
If anything goes wrong with my second breast though, it comes off. I am not mucking around again. And yet I am pleased I didn't go with my first instinct to take them both off the first time, and am quite fond of it now, so that would be a gut renching decision.
I hope you can find a decision that you are comfortable with, so many things to consider with so little to guide you. - MKitty68Memberso sorry to hear you're having to go through this again, best of luck with whatever you decide