Forum Discussion
NewBoobsPLS
6 years agoMember
Diagnosed today fluke pickup
Hi all, Just reaching out to get recommendations on best place to go for treatment.
Diagnosed today after getting fine needle biopsy on Monday. Stage 3 5mm. Core biopsy and fine needle lymp nodes today checked. I had a CT scan under contrast which came back clear, pffeeeew. Getting results Monday from core biopsy. Where is the best place to get chemotherapy? I live in Sydney south west.
Thinking I'm going to get double mastectomy as I have no problems/worries and I think it best to just take all the possible tissue. Always wanted a boob job so it's my silver lining that is keeping me positive.
Any suggestions help tips on best doctors etc.
Diagnosed today after getting fine needle biopsy on Monday. Stage 3 5mm. Core biopsy and fine needle lymp nodes today checked. I had a CT scan under contrast which came back clear, pffeeeew. Getting results Monday from core biopsy. Where is the best place to get chemotherapy? I live in Sydney south west.
Thinking I'm going to get double mastectomy as I have no problems/worries and I think it best to just take all the possible tissue. Always wanted a boob job so it's my silver lining that is keeping me positive.
Any suggestions help tips on best doctors etc.
27 Replies
- NewBoobsPLSMember@iserbrown your right I know very little as it's all been this week. I know it's not her2 as the surgeon crossed that off his paper when he was drawing diagrams. (very visual person). I know it's not in lymph nodes as he told me that yesterday. I know it's 5mm by 6mm in the left beast 4cm from nipple. And I know the edges are not smooth and he was saying it's aggressive. That's about it. Some many questions still.
What ever it is a double mastectomy is definitely what I want. I have wanted cosmetic reconstruction for a long time anyway so that was a very easy decision for me. I was actually going to look into cosmetic surgery this year anyway. I'm a saggy a cup after breastfeeding and I hate them. Even more so now. - iserbrownMemberI think a call to the BCNA helpline maybe beneficial
https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/bcna-helpline/
You appear to be making big decisions based around very little information by the sound of what you have posted here. What type of breast cancer do you have? - NewBoobsPLSMember@jintie thanks for sharing. Yes just surgery at the moment. Surgeon has been keeping me updated over the phone as he has only had verbal results from pathology. We already talked about double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and he said if that's what you want I'll do it. Not needed but he will. I guess I'm lucky then. The main things that concerns me is that it has all happened in one week and surgery may be as soon as Wednesday this week coming. My next appointment to see him is Monday and he said just Confirm over the weekend thats really what I want.
I have so many questions for the reconstruction though. Silicone vs saline, textured vs not.
Also of concern ifi asked his receptions RE getting a second opinion. She was pretty obvious that she didn't think I should get one as this would delay the surgery.
My local Gp said she really trusts him. She said he was very good at treating. I'm just scared of quality of reconstruction now. God so much to go through in only two weeks. Aaahhh - jintieMemberHi. Is the surgeon saying that the only treatment that youâre having is surgery? If so, that is great. Just be warned - I am not sure what other peopleâs experiences have been with a 5mm lump - he may think itâs a bit extreme and say no to a bilateral mastectomy. I donât know your history so I canât really comment.
Wait until youâve spoken with your surgeon next week. Mum wanted to chop hers off for a 19mm lump, but surgeon said no and did a wide lumpectomy instead.I had a bilateral reduction 7 years ago... (before I was diagnosed 18 months ago) so I know what itâs like to get new boobs - twice! - NewBoobsPLSMemberThank you. Yes requested to join @kmakm
- kmakmMemberYes. If it's a DIEP it's massive, somewhat less so if it's implants. Ask to join the Choosing breast reconstruction group and you'll find a lot of women who can advise. K xox
https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/groups - NewBoobsPLSMemberHi all, doctor called today with verbal update that moderate all clear so now just looking at surgery. I'm opting for double mastectomy just to be sure. Has anyone done this and reconstruction in the one operation?
- AfraserMemberGood luck for your next appointment and details of treatment. I had several seriously enlarged nodes but only one turned out to have been affected, the rest were just irritated! A second pair of ears is very helpful. Best wishes.
- iserbrownMemberOh you have a lot to take in and you are racing ahead in your thoughts but you need to go to your next appointment, take someone with you if you can as a second set of ears, and take in as much information as possible. They will also explain what they believe is the best course of action and where you may have that treatment. Public or private?
As noted earlier it is the Oncologist who will determine treatment regarding chemo, radio or zoladex!
We are all diagnosed with Breast Cancer but it is very individual, not only type and stage but our age and if we are menopausal and so it goes!
https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/what-is-breast-cancer/
This link will be of help to you learn a little more and there's a link within that takes you to a different page for you to read up on your type of Breast Cancer - you didn't mention it above!
Take care, best wishes and take a deep breath - primekMemberI went public but in SA. I think your biopsy would be grade 3 (What cells look like) rather stage 3 given it small size. (Stage is to do with size of tumour and lymph nodes) Best of luck with treatment.
You might find this link helpful.
https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/booklets-and-fact-sheets/