Forum Discussion
AmandaG
11 years agoMember
Radiotherapy v Mastectomy
Hi Ladies,
Im 33 and was diagnosed with TNBC in March this year. I had lumpectomy surgery in April and have four weeks of chemo left - yay!!! (Dose Dense AC x 4 fortnightly and Paclitaxal x 12 weekly). I am currently in discussions with my surgeon about the next course of treatment for me - Radiotherapy or Mastectomy. I have had genetic testing which came back negative. My surgeon is of the view that radiotherapy (combined with the earlier lumpectomy) is the best course of action for me and that mastectomy will not provide any better outcome in my particular situation. I have done some research online and there seem to be a few small studies which support this course of action for non gene carriers with TNBC. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts???
12 Replies
Hi, I am 49 and diagnosed with Trip Neg BC on 15th Aug 15. I opted for a double subcutaneous mastectomy with reconstruction done at same time done on 3rd Sept 15. As this was my 7th "lump" and cancer scare - I had very lumpy breasts prior. I am not able to have radiotherapy to the auxiliary area as the surgeon states it would destroy the implant and the skin flap would be necrotic (die) and it would result in total and radical mastectomy. So will be doing Chemo for 6 months then an auxiliary clearance after chemo. The left breast was cancer free but had 4 fibroid lumps. I don't regret this decision as I have had 7 cancer scares - and did not want to be worried about breast cancer every time a new lump is found. We have no family history of cancer going back 3 generations so we don't believe I would be positive for the BRAC1 or BRAC2 gene. We will focus on 3 months chemo - then next weekly chemo for 12 weeks then the surgery. I had a good clearance and one centennial node involved with microscopic cells in the middle of the node. I still have the awful drains in (out on 23rd) but don't regret the radical decision to have a double subcutaneous mastectomy. Besides the scar under each breast - they look better than before - very numb but see them as being safer - for me anyway.
Thank you for letting me share :-)
Linda
- AmandaGMember
Hi Girls,
Just thought id give you an update. I was initially leaning toward radiotherapy but after further discussions with my Surgeon i think bilateral mastectomy (and implant reconstruction) is the way to go as it would reduce my risk of local re-occurrence by about 25% (pretty substantial in my view) Would love your recommendations for a plastic surgeon in Melbourne. Thank you x
- sgtooheyMember
That's good news
- lisboyMember
Hi Amanda
You will be armed with lots of knowledge and will feel so much more empowered. Al the best with your treatment.
Lisax
- mum2jjMember
Good for you. Knowledge is power. You will know that whatever choice you make will have been an informed oneAll the best.
Paula xx
- AmandaGMember
Hi Ladies,
Thank you all so much for your feedback and support. I wish you all the very best.
I had initially decided on radiotherapy treatment but have put that on hold and made another appointment to see my breast surgeon tomorrow. The plan is to ask a more questions and pick her brain (again!!) Hopefully i'll come away from that appointment feeling a little wiser and can make an informed decision thereafter.
Once again, thank you
Amanda xo
- AmandaGMember
Hi Sandy,
No nodes involved.
- sgtooheyMember
Hi Amanda, great you are gene negative. From my research I agree. What was your node status?
sandy
- sgtooheyMember
Good luck Debbie I will be thinking of you. I've made an appointment to see my breast surgeon this week. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder either.
sandy
Hi Amanda, I was diagnosed with Pleomorphic tumour in March this year and am also classified as Triple Negative. I did 12 weeks of Taxal/Carbo and had my very last EC dose 2 weeks ago. I also was offered a lumpectomy (breast conserving) but have requested a full bilateral which is in one weeks time, followed by radiation. This sucker (BC) is only getting one chance to kill me and has failed, the tumour is completely gone to the naked eye. I will sleep easier knowing that I have done everything that I can to prevent a recurrence ( I think the odds will have reduced to 7% when all treatment has completed). If it comes back despite all this then I will deal with it but I won't be constantly looking over my shoulder. It's a big decision to make, take your time. I deliberated for the whole 5 months of chemo. Best of luck with the rest of your treatment. Warm regards
Debbie