Find out how Deanne keeps active and staying well!

Options
Jess_BCNA
Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
edited October 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Most of you would have seen Deanne in and around the online network - she may have even welcomed you when you first joined :-)   
In the latest issue of the Active and well e-newsletter Deanne share's her story of keeping active and well after her diagnosis of breast cancer.

Hear some of her tips on how she does it and how she has found support from being part of the 'Getting active and keeping well' online group.

The new Active and well after breast cancer e-newsletter has information on:

• Profile: Deanne Singleton - How do you look after your health and wellbeing?
  • What's cooking in our kitchen - healthy almond and coconut date globes
  • Tips for managing your health
  • Let's talk about pain management
  • Helpful apps, blogs, services and people - Your personal wellness guide for body and soul

If you have a question for Deanne on how she keeps active and well after breast cancer ~ join in the conversation and comment below :-)

Jess

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Deanne I just read your story.You are a REAL inspiration for others.I feel that so many ladies could relate to your story,and you have clearly shown how you can change things for the better by small,steady steps.I love that you were in the newsletter.You certainly deserved to be.Well done.Cheers xox Robyn
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow you really look amazing. you are a real example of slow and steady wins the race.
    Keep up the healthy living n
    Paula :)
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Robyn. If I can do this anyone can because truthfully I have never seen myself as at all athletic. My aim was just to recover as best as I could and I have been amazed (and so have friends and family) at what has been possible. It terrified me that the 'treatment' I needed to get rid of the cancer was causing harm to the rest of me. I now feel that the changes I have made to my lifestyle have reversed or counteracted some of the harm that treatment did or is still doing (tamoxifen). Doing something to help myself has helped me cope and I have discovered that I DO like exercise!
    :) Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Paula. Yes that is definitely me - slow and steady. I don't want to win the race I just want to enjoy getting to the finish line! :) Deanne xxx
  • LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well look at you, you look great. All that healthy eating and exercise. I admire your committment, I have kept the pounds at bay mostly, but am lazy of late. I'm going to get up right now and go for a walk. Also, what a great initiative BCNA starting this newsletter, XXXLouie

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well look at you, you look great. All that healthy eating and exercise. I admire your committment, I have kept the pounds at bay mostly, but am lazy of late. I'm going to get up right now and go for a walk. Also, what a great initiative BCNA starting this newsletter, XXXLouie

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you Louise. Hope that you are soon recovered from your surgery. Enjoy your walk. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just click on the highlighted bit that says Active and Staying Well e-newsletter. It was great to hear from you and know that everything was ok at your 12 month check. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just fantastic Deanne!  Well done...and you look fabulous too!! Truly inspirational for all of us to get our bodies (and minds) into shape...good on you!

Jenny xx

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just fantastic Deanne!  Well done...and you look fabulous too!! Truly inspirational for all of us to get our bodies (and minds) into shape...good on you!

Jenny xx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank-you Jen. It's been very steady progress but I love feeling better after not feeling well through treatment. I feel so much more 'in-tune' with what is good for me and what's not. I think we are all different with what suits us, some love group activities, some of us like a bit of competitive sport, some of us just like to get outside and go for a walk. There is no right or best way to get active just whatever gives you enjoyment and fits into your life.
    And yes it does seem to get our minds and emotions into better shape too! :) Deanne xxx
  • JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are awesome Deanne!! Wow
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Jodie. I think it is awesome that we can all support and encourage each other as we leave cancer behind us and make our way to a better life again. I think you say it so well in your 12 month post when you remember that we all said you could do it and you DID do it, working all the way through chemo too! Our achievements mean just that little bit more when we share them and get support from our friends on here! :) Deanne xxx