Recently diagnosed

Options
janelle66
janelle66 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi my name is Janelle and I have recently been diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer. I have just undergone a lumpectomy and partial lymph node removal. All of my tests have come back with clear indicators but my dr wants to complete a mastectomy. I don't understand the need for this as the pathology is clear. I am also going to undertake chemo and radiant soon. Any others with similar experiences I would love to hear from. I am not really sure where to go to have my questions answered and feel I am being pushed into a corner to have a mastectomy to which I am not sure why.
Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All of us are different in our diagnosis and treatment.I would make an appointment to go back and ask very directly just why you need a mastectomy.Maybe you do and there is something that is not being explained correctly to you,or maybe you don't really NEED one.My cancer was invasive ductal carcinoma,not lobular,so I am not much help at all with that.All the best.Robynxox
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All of us are different in our diagnosis and treatment.I would make an appointment to go back and ask very directly just why you need a mastectomy.Maybe you do and there is something that is not being explained correctly to you,or maybe you don't really NEED one.My cancer was invasive ductal carcinoma,not lobular,so I am not much help at all with that.All the best.Robynxox
  • Samhutto
    Samhutto Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Janelle,

If you are on Facebook look up adelaide breast cancer friendship group. We have a online chat and a woman on there has had lobular breast cancer too and may be of help. Her name is Jenny. I had ductal carcinoma at 37 nearly 3 years ago. I had mastectomy and tamoxifen but no chemo or rads. Had recon bilaterally after I chose to remove other breast and haven't looked back! Feeling great now. You will get there too but let yourself go through all the emotions along the way. It is certainly a roller coaster but I feel like I'm off it now.
    Take care and lots of hugs.
    Sam
  • Annie Allan
    Annie Allan Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. It was suggested to me to have the lump removed by lumpectomy but after some discussion , I decided to have a mastectomy as the size of my lump relative to the size of my breast meant that the lumpectomy would leave me substantially deficient in that breast . I also did not want to chance any breast tissue remaining that May have any cancer cells left . I had 4 sentinel nodes and 4 axillary nodes removed also . I had 6 months of chemo which I finished about 6 weeks ago , and do not have to have radiotherapy owing to the fact that I had mastectomy and no nodes were involved . About 4 weeks ago I had the other healthy breast removed and a reconstruction with expanders I am going into have the first filling of my expanders tomorrow . Hope this helps xx
  • Annie Allan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. It was suggested to me to have the lump removed by lumpectomy but after some discussion , I decided to have a mastectomy as the size of my lump relative to the size of my breast meant that the lumpectomy would leave me substantially deficient in that breast . I also did not want to chance any breast tissue remaining that May have any cancer cells left . I had 4 sentinel nodes and 4 axillary nodes removed also . I had 6 months of chemo which I finished about 6 weeks ago , and do not have to have radiotherapy owing to the fact that I had mastectomy and no nodes were involved . About 4 weeks ago I had the other healthy breast removed and a reconstruction with expanders I am going into have the first filling of my expanders tomorrow . Hope this helps xx
  • janelle66
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jodie
    I am not sure what a SNB is. I have been told by my dr that all pathology tests have been clear including the lymph node that was removed and tested which is why i am unclear why my breast needs to be removed. I am not apposed to the removal but for me I just need to understand it a little more.
    I am grateful for all the messages of advice and support it helps.
    Thanks
  • Annie Allan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SNB ...
    Sentinel node biopsy
  • janelle66
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks am slowly learning this terminology!!
  • Annie Allan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I too am on the Adelaide breast cancer friendship group . X