Life post chemo & radiation: tamoxifen & having children

Options
sodapop
sodapop Member Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi guys, 

Im after some advice...

I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at 34.14 out of 18 lymph nodes affected, no family history, estrogen positive. I've had single mastectomy, nodes removed, 5 rounds of chemo(one more to go FEC-D) and 5 weeks of radiation. I don't have any children but would love one, we have 5 embryo's waiting for us. 

I was advised by my Oncologist last week that they would recommend removing ovaries or having radiation on them...how ever he understands I want a child. I would be on Tamoxifen for 10 years and would need to stop taking this if I wanted to get pregnant - which can increase risk of re-occurance? 

I'm so confused, I thought after IVF, surgery, chemo and radiation there would be light at the end of the tunnel and I guess there is but there are so many decisions to be made after treatment is finished.

Does anyone have any personal experiences or advice on finishing treatment, going onto Tamoxifen and having children(either naturally or via IVF)? I don't really want to risk my life/health to have a child....

Comments

• Anna R
    Anna R Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sodapop,

I was also diagnosed at age 34 last October and your journey sounds remarkably similar to mine. In the past 6 months I've had a lumpectomy, cycle of IVF, 6 chemo treatments and then a double mastectomy. My hubby and I also have frozen embryos waiting for us which gives me hope we might one day have a child.

I started taking tamoxifen at the beginning of May and my oncologist wants me to stay on it for 5 years although we have discussed the possibility of me coming off it after a couple of years (as long as my health is ok) and attempting a pregnancy with one of our frozen embryos. Then going back on the tamoxifen afterwards. So maybe this is an option for you to consider as well?

Hope your chemo is going ok? That's great you are almost done with chemo now, what a great feeling! I had FEC-D as well so can sympathise. I found FEC much worse than Docetaxel - strange because most people say it's the opposite for them!

Anna xxx

• sodapop
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna, 

Thank you for your reply! It's taken me so long to actually get to things like emails etc etc...I've actually finished Chemo & 5.5 weeks of radiation and now I'm on the 10 year plan of meds! yay..

I still feel like the Onc would prefer me not to have children, although there isn't a great deal of data surrounding Hormone positive BC and having children increacing the chance of reoccurance. I'm looking into using a Surrogate but the laws in Vic are difficult! It's such a tough decision, no point having a child if I'm not going to be around to enjoy them!

I can't decide what was worse, FEC or D...each time I had the drug it gave me completely different side effects! All I know is we don't ever want to go through that again!

Hope you are feeling ok on Tamoxifen...Im on Aromasin and monthly injection - the joint aches, insomnia and hot flushes are almost unbearable!

• sodapop
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi!

Thanks for you reply!

My Onc is very much on the fence about it all....so he is pretty much leaving it up to me. I've started looking into using a surrogate! 

I'd love to have a child but not point having one if I'm not around to watch them grow up!

Hope you are well