survivor

Options
paulaf789
paulaf789 Member Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in Health and wellbeing

hi my name is paula. just over 12 months ago i had a 4cm lump removed from my left breast.  i was lucky and it was contained in the breast and hadnt spread to the nodes.  surgery was followed by chemo and then radiation. going through surgery and treatment is difficult but 6 months after finishing my treatment i am now struggling with life after breast cancer. scared that it will come back, the cyst i have from the scar tissue worried that they will turn to cancer and then there is chemo brain so frustrating. my balance is still affect so there are times that i still walk like a drunk woman. i joined this network because it feels good to know that im not alone and maybe i can offer support or tips to help someone else

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Paula, I'm with you girlfriend!!!!!.  The aftermath of BC sucks and I have had big scares again recently to be told it is all okay.  So I am running with that.  Those scara and lumps and the alien I have now that is supposed to be a boob following the surgery and radiotherapy doesn't make me happy BUT I am alive and kicking, alien boob and all so I count my lucky stars every day.  It doesn't mean it doesn't suck tho cause it does. The chemo brain, my god, that sucks, the hardest thing with that for me is words- remembering words to fit in the sentence I am saying, remembering someones name and remembering if I am having a conversation and I start talking and get interrupted what I was actually talking about.  Very very frustrating but I am sure that will improve in time.  I think a good diet, exercise, lots of water, fresh air and a positive attitude is the only thing that is going to help me beat all of this BC aftermath cause it does keep coming back to get ya if ya let it as I know.Stay strong, you have got this far and have won so keep on winning.Lots of love.  I am thinking of you and know where you are coming from, Mich xoxoxo
  • Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Paula, I'm with you girlfriend!!!!!.  The aftermath of BC sucks and I have had big scares again recently to be told it is all okay.  So I am running with that.  Those scara and lumps and the alien I have now that is supposed to be a boob following the surgery and radiotherapy doesn't make me happy BUT I am alive and kicking, alien boob and all so I count my lucky stars every day.  It doesn't mean it doesn't suck tho cause it does. The chemo brain, my god, that sucks, the hardest thing with that for me is words- remembering words to fit in the sentence I am saying, remembering someones name and remembering if I am having a conversation and I start talking and get interrupted what I was actually talking about.  Very very frustrating but I am sure that will improve in time.  I think a good diet, exercise, lots of water, fresh air and a positive attitude is the only thing that is going to help me beat all of this BC aftermath cause it does keep coming back to get ya if ya let it as I know.Stay strong, you have got this far and have won so keep on winning.Lots of love.  I am thinking of you and know where you are coming from, Mich xoxoxo
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

A big welcome to this network-we all help each other here. I think you stay brave and hold it altogether going through treatment and then afterwards you begin to process what just happened.You lose confidence in the body you thought you knew and every twinge or lump sets your mind into cancer mode. I've had bc twice in the same breast-2003 and 2010. Each time,it took me about 2 years to feel more confident in my health.So give yourself permission to feel abit anxious from time to time- it's still raw for you.It takes awhile to get used to your new alien boob(good one Mich) or,in my case,no boob at all. Then there is the"hair thing"- it takes ages to grow back. In the beginning,I would look at myself in the mirror and think I looked like Frankenstein's bride- bald head,gnarled chest,scars everywhere. Well 3 years on and I am doing fine and enjoying life.Blog back here for support or to just vent - I think it helps. Tonya xx   

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

You poor darl -it's hard going back to work after chemo.I found I had to write EVERYTHING down- leave nothing to chance.Your brain will improve over time.Look after yourself and try not to stress out or expect so much of your brain.                     Tonya xx

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey PaulaI don't have the added stress of woking but i do have chemo brain and I am finding everyone just accepts that my treatment has finished so full stop, end of line, all finito,she is great and moved on and ready to take of the world.  So fullstop comes the end of support and loving caring feeilings and it just okey dokey all good and a bed of roses so get on with it.IF only life was so easy.Can you maybe sit the staff down and somehow try to explain to them that it aint that simple so they need to be a bit more supportive and understanding for however long you need them to and I am sure you will find young or oldthey will come to the party cause you don't have to pretend you are superwomen cause as I can vouch for, you still need some looking after and nurturing sometimes and unless you tell people they can't possibly realise until they have been down the same path we all have on this site.  Tell everyone around you how it really is and I know they will understand.Lots of love, Mich xoxoxoox
  • paulaf789
    paulaf789 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

thank you i it really nice when you know that your not the only one that suffers from 'chemo brain'. but what you say is so true. people just think wow treatment is done so that means that door has closed and its time to move on. my kitchen staff are really good its my boss so i think i need to sit him down and just explain how it is. take care