Tamoxifen

Options
Lydia.B
Lydia.B Member Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in Health and wellbeing
Hi,

Just joined. I was diagnosed 8 months ago. I was 35 years old. I had the lump out, and 6 months of chemo.

Now I'm week 3 of 6 of radiation. It hasn't spread into my lymp nodes. I'm very lucky. It's been a ride!

Lots of sides effects. I'm now just starting to get on top of everything.

I start tamoxifen in 3 weeks. I'm nervous about it. I'm already experiencing hormonal symptoms from the chemo - hot flushes etc. I'm not looking forward to it if my symptoms get worse. Luckily I have a great naturopath.

Does anyone else see a naturopath for their symptoms?Tamoxifen?

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am sorry to hear you have been on the bc ride but glad you have joined this network.It's a great place to come for info and support. I've been on Tamoxifen for almost 3 years.I've had bc twice-the first time was in 2003 when I was 47yrs old.I didn't tolerate Tamoxifen at all at that time but I hadn't had chemo and wasn't menopausal.Cancer came back in the same breast 7 years later in 2010 so had a mastectomy and chemo.This time around I tolerated Tamoxifen alot better.However,I've found it to make my hot flushes slightly worse and I feel abit irritable.I now take a small dose antidepressant called Endep 10mg and that has helped -Sleep is better as well.When you start,I would suggest you"ease"into it by taking a half tablet for a few days or so(check with your doc) and use the brand"Genox".I have found this one to be the most agreeable.You have to be careful with taking so called natural products with Tamoxifen - run everything by your ocologist cos some things will be contraindicated.You can only try Tamoxifen and see how you go.I know many ladies who have had no side effects whatsoever and you may be lucky too.Blog back here anytime as we all try to help each other.Good luck with radiation-looks like you are half way and all down hill now,won't be long.

Tonya xx

• jandy23
    jandy23 Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been on tamoxifen nearly 5 months. I find it hard to be sure about what symptoms to attribute to tamoxifen. The only things I think it definitely causes for me are mild hot flushes (mainly at night) and it's stopped my periods. (I'm 47). My periods did stop during chemo too but started again afterwards.Sometimes I wonder whether it disrupts my sleep. I often wake up very early (4.30-5.00) or have trouble getting to sleep even though I'm tired. I find I have to be very careful to minimise my caffeine intake, especially in the second half of the day. Or if I have a large meal later in the evening or drink alcohol I'm more more likely to struggle with sleeping. It's like any little change of routine in what I eat or drink will lead to a sleeping issue. But on the other hand, I've had problems with sleeping in the past (but usually only when stressed and I'm not stressed now).I haven't gained weight like a lot of women say they do but I've also been very careful to watch what I eat and I  do quite a lot of exercise. I find it nearly impossible to lose weight, but again, I had that problem before tamoxifen.I do think it might have reduced my libido a little bit too.I hate taking a drug like this everyday to be honest, but I'm too scared not to take it. Just hope it does what it's supposed to do. Good luck with it. I hope it doesn't cause you any major problems. Janet. 
  • Lydia.B
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.I'm unsure whether it is the way to go, but I'm like you what choice do I have!  I really would like to try a natural alternative, but my husband really wants me to take the tamoxifen.  The last thing I want is for it to come back again.  I am not too keen to go through another 6 months of chemo!!I too am like you, I am very active, but I have put on soooo much weight during my chemo.  I can't wait to start running again.  I  tried a few weeks ago, but the radiation has zapped everything out of me.  I am still working full time, so I just don't have the time (or energy).  However, the weight is starting to come off, because my eating has gone back to normal.What a ride!!Thanks again for the reply, this blogging is all new to me.Lydia
  • Lydia.B
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Mich,Your comments mean a lot.  My family have been great, but it's nice to talk to other BC 'sisters'.  There is so much to know and learn.  You think just because the chemo is over and the radiation is nearly over, that everything will go back to normal!  Far from it.I will definately discuss everything with my oncologist.Lydia
  • Lydia.B
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tonya.  I will investigate the Genox brand.  I wouldn't even think a different brand could effect you differently.