New diagnosed Canberran with questions

Tee68
Tee68 Member Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi Ladies/Gentleman

I received a diagnosis yesterday of a high grade DCIS. I am being positive and I know I am fortunate, in the terms of a breast cancer diagnosis I know it could be a lot worse.

I'm hoping someone can give me any advice on choosing a surgeon, or recommending one?  My journey to this point hasn't been a quick or easy one...it is now 7 weeks from when I first went to my GP and I only got biopsy results yesterday....delays, errors in referrals etc...I am truly hoping from this point on things run a little smoother and quicker, or am I being unrealistic?  Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.  

Happy Easter!

Tagged:

Comments

• Tee68
    Tee68 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015

Thanks for your message Trina.  I have ordered and am looking forward to receiving the 'My Journey Kit'.  There really are so many questions, and I think getting the diagnosis just before the long weekend has made it difficult as I haven't been able to phone anyone to get things moving....and it has given me lots of time to come up with more questions....hahaha poor surgeon will be bombarded with questions on my first visit!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your experience too, it really is good to hear what other people have gone through and to know that they are doing well. 

Thanks again :)

• JenAli
    JenAli Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015

Hi Tee68, My diagnosis was DCIS too (intermediate grade) and my breast surgeon said he was happy if it took me up to 6 months to decide on and have definitive treatment. He said there urgency is not there with DCIS like it is with invasive breast cancer.

So I know 7 weeks of waiting must make you feel sick and its certainly not good psychologically but it is OK. I'm not from Canberra but I live in the victorian country and i went to the breast clinic at the Peter Mac in Melbourne I was really impressed with their efficiency and expertise. If there is a breast clinic in Canberra I would seek them out and see a breast surgeon not a general surgeon!

I eventually decided on mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with diep flap and am very pleased I did as I had two foci of DCIS and one hadnt shown up on mammogram. I am 2 and half weeks post surgery and there have been lots of bumps but friends already tell me I look normal in clothing and I went for a 1/2 hr walk today!

Good luck and try to be positive but if you want a good howl thats OK too.

• JenAli
    JenAli Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015

Hi Tee68, My diagnosis was DCIS too (intermediate grade) and my breast surgeon said he was happy if it took me up to 6 months to decide on and have definitive treatment. He said there urgency is not there with DCIS like it is with invasive breast cancer.

So I know 7 weeks of waiting must make you feel sick and its certainly not good psychologically but it is OK. I'm not from Canberra but I live in the victorian country and i went to the breast clinic at the Peter Mac in Melbourne I was really impressed with their efficiency and expertise. If there is a breast clinic in Canberra I would seek them out and see a breast surgeon not a general surgeon!

I eventually decided on mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with diep flap and am very pleased I did as I had two foci of DCIS and one hadnt shown up on mammogram. I am 2 and half weeks post surgery and there have been lots of bumps but friends already tell me I look normal in clothing and I went for a 1/2 hr walk today!

Good luck and try to be positive but if you want a good howl thats OK too.