First Blog - just diagnosed

Jillianb
Jillianb Member Posts: 33
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Just been diagnosed with DCIS. Bit scary, too extensive to save most of my right breast. I have been offered reconstruction and seriously thinking about it. Does anyone have any advice. I am in the research phase but fairly keen.

Cheers,

Jillian

Tagged:

Comments

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi Jullian,

I just wanted to jump in and welcome you to the online network. I can only image what you are going through following your diagnosis, but I hope others on the site will be able to share their experience and help you to feel less alone.

There is alot of useful information on the website so look around and let me know if you need a hand finding anything ~Daina

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Hiya, I'm having bilateral mast with recon in a few weeks. So finally past the planning phase. I found it very difficult. My advice would be to research the types, decide what suits you, then find a plastic surgeon who does that procedure. I found they seem to specialize in a specific type. I saw 4 plastic surgeons till I found what I wanted.

I also went public for it, so no costs involved.

I'm having double DIEP. I chose to do both breasts to remove the possibility of recurrence or new breast cancer.

Good luck
    Louise
  • Jillianb
    edited March 2015

Thank you for your lovely comments! It is all just a bit unreal at the moment. I am feeling like I should be sadder than I am. But I keep reading information and there is so much hope. Anyway I will keep reading a posting comments. It is such a great website.

Thank you again!

Jillian

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Hi Jillian

I had a bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders, then implants and whilst I am not 100 percent happy, I am happy I no longer have breast tissue to give me concern and I also do not have a prosthesis to contend with, they really are hot in tropical North Queensland. I had my reconstruction in 2009, I was diagnosed in 2007 at 36 but took a while to work out what was best for me.

Good luck, there are lots of options and by doing your research you will work out which is best for you and your individual situation.

Tan. Xx
  • Tracee
    Tracee Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Hi Jillian,

There is so much information to sort through and absorb,
    I did a lot of research and had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction tram flap from my stomach in September last year.
    I am really happy with the result and had a brilliant plastic surgeon in Brisbane. If you would like to talk send me a message and I could call you.

Best wishes

Tracey
  • Jillianb
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for your words of wisdom. Every one so so encouraging.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards Jillian