Women's Expo

Options
LeeS
LeeS Member Posts: 128
edited October 2010 in Day to day

HI Ladies! Well, I have now experienced my first BCNA promo event. It felt great. I had a table at the Women's Expo that a Relay For Life team was running in Mandurah on Friday night. The co-ordinator of this event lost her aunty to breast cancer not long ago. When I asked if she could squeeze me in, even though registration had closed, she initially said there wasn't any more room and other people were on a waiting list! Then she emailed me and said she couldn't say NO to such a great cause...She LITERALLY squeezed in an extra table for me. I had a small table but managed to spread myself out a bit with boxes and an old pin-up board I painted pink, propped up on a chair! I even used the chair as a pin-cusion and pinned pamphlets to it!

I had raffle tickets selling at $2 each. A local giftshop/florist put together an amazing collection of goodies worth $300 retail!! and donated it so that I can use it for the Expo and my mini-field. And then the kitchen shop donated a little basket of goodies too which I have included as 2nd prize. I haven't had a chance to add up the $$ yet.

Socks and pink lady pins sold pretty well too. Shame they'd run out of keyrings. I think they would've been very popular!

I had pink lady sillouettes on display, stuck in holes in little lumps of wood painted pink. And these were my prop for advertising the up-and-coming mini-field.

I met some survivors and I  passed on information to family members of some women with breast cancer.

A great variety of brochures were taken through the night and BCNA has now made its mark on Mandurah!

It does feel good to help make a difference. It doesn't matter how big or small as long as it's out there. X

And to the STINGY few women who couldn't bare to give up $2 for a raffle ticket to support BCNA...I  hope they choked, momentarily anyway, on their free glass of champers! Thank goodness the majority of us are good women!! XXXXX

Comments

• w.a. kaz
    w.a. kaz Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2015
    Options

Woo Hoo Lee, congratulations on your efforts. Yes it is a good feeling 'making a difference"  no matter how small or big even chatting to all the girls on this site makes me feel so proud to be part of such a wonderful family. Take care and chat soon......Kaz

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's great what you achieved by being "squeezed" into a little space ..... imagine what you could have achieved if you had a whole football oval LoL !!!

It's totally amazing how people are willing to support a worthwhile cause ... and that's what sharing knowledge is all about.

My little idea of turning Wentworth pink has grown  to such an extent that we now have a cast as big as Ben Hur!!!

Clusters of little pink ladies have sprung up in every shop window in town - including the pubs (with collection tins), the bank and club (with merchandise sales points), even the tattoo parlour!!!

The local IGA supermarket is giving BCNA a charity Community Chest Day, the Capt Sturt Hotel (one of my support groups) is having a PINK event next week with money from pizza sales, raffles and a percentage of bar drinks being donated.  The staff at the Council is having a pink morning tea on the 25th and the Tourist office is phoning the town businesses and asking that employees be allowed to wear pink for the day.

The Mini Field of Women will be on the wharf lawns on Sunday 31st with the decorated Paddlesteamer RUBY in the background.  Our local club is turning it's Melbourne Cup ladies afternoon into a "Pink" afternoon.

I've even been asked to organise a team of ladies to drive a pink tractor in a rally next June .... that should be good for a laugh or two!!!!

Someone asked me what I was going to do next month ... after I've taken all of the decorations down etc etc .... told them I was going to give my brain a little rest then start planning for next year..... which isn't all that far away!!!

Cheers .... Shirl xxx

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015
    Options

Kaz, Leonie and Shirl,

Thanks for your comments. You guys are awesome...wish I could be there to support your events in person! They sound A M A Z I N G to say the very least !!!!

My little Sam has been sick this week with an awful gastro. He cracked it when I took him to kindy this morning so he's back home with me again today. I was going to sell raffle tickets at the shopping centre to promote the mini-field event this week but haven't been able to...the cafe owner will be relieved....he's freaking out at the great response to the mini-field morning tea! heeheehee...

Spoke to the mayor of Mandurah the other day. She is behind me every step of the way for everything BCNA in the future, including speaking on the radio about it! Unfortunately she has been off fwork, sick, so wasn't able to get behind the mini-field in time this year. She is so wonderful though. I know she'll be a fantastic resource for me!!!!! YAYYYYYY...

Okay, back to being MUMMY...

I love you guys,

Lee. XXX

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

We sure are a great team!!!!XLeonie

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

You're a Star, and well done everyone, before attending the melbourne course, i knew i wanted to do something, but didnt know what or how to do it, but having come back from there, we all seem to have got our brains into gear, and are able to do our bit, it doesnt matter how big or small, it matters that we make people aware, (and make a bit of money in the process lol), so good on us girls, and the more we let each other know, the more ideas it is for others, look forward to seeing lots of fun pics after the events....

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

You're a Star, and well done everyone, before attending the melbourne course, i knew i wanted to do something, but didnt know what or how to do it, but having come back from there, we all seem to have got our brains into gear, and are able to do our bit, it doesnt matter how big or small, it matters that we make people aware, (and make a bit of money in the process lol), so good on us girls, and the more we let each other know, the more ideas it is for others, look forward to seeing lots of fun pics after the events....