Marlibird

Marliebird
Marliebird Member Posts: 1
edited June 2012 in Health and wellbeing
Hi all this is my first post and I was wondering if anyone else has arthritis after cancer treatment and how they deal with it as I am struggling at this time.Bye for now

Comments

• georgiebz
    georgiebz Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015

Hi Marlie

I am only just starting radiation treatment for BC but my natropath has mentioned that some drugs that are perscribed can cause weakening of the bones.  You should take this up with your Dr and see if there are alternatives that don't have weakening of bones as a side affect.

take care Georgie

• georgiebz
    georgiebz Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015

Hi Marlie

I am only just starting radiation treatment for BC but my natropath has mentioned that some drugs that are perscribed can cause weakening of the bones.  You should take this up with your Dr and see if there are alternatives that don't have weakening of bones as a side affect.

take care Georgie

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi Marlibird, I have arthritis like pain in my knees, hips and fingers. I hobble like an old lady for the first 6 or 7 steps. My fingers are very weak and stiff, and it is hard a make a fist, especially in the morming. My oncologist assures me that these drugs, do not cause arthritis, only arthralgia, which is painful joints. Great, so no damage is being done, but I feel like I am 100. I had chemo last year, 4 months of tamoxifen, and have now been on femara for 10 months. I have found that taking large doses of fish oil, and also Blackmores Lyprinol has really helped. I still hobble around, but it is not as painful as it use to be, and I can roll over in bed now, without waking myself up in pain. Good luck. Love Chris xx
  • Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015

I can relate to Chris that is exactly how I feel, I finished radiation in January. I also take fish oil tablets (i take 3x3 per day) I really notice when i have forgotten.

Have you had and an xray/mri - how do you know you have arthritis. Is it just how you feel or was it diagnosed.

One other thing i have recently come across is yin yoga. It is awesome I feel 10 years younger for about two days after one x 1 hour class. Gentle floor poses, held for 5 minutes and deep breathing - i cannot recommend it enough if it does for others what it has done for me. I have also been blessed with a teacher who is very patient and works individually with each class member.

All the very best - we can only get better if that is what we chose.

Maria333