Time off work

Options
JXL63
JXL63 Member Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in Day to day

Hi Ladies,

Just wanting to know if any of you have managed to return to work in-between treatment cycles?

Or would it be more realistic to have the whole time off while on chemo and radiation?

I have completed chemo number two 10 days ago and have recovered from the immediate side effects. Number 3 (of 4) is scheduled for after Easter. As I feel well enough, I have gone back to work. I was also missing the social interaction. Work has been very accommodating so I can't complain.

I am thinking that I may not always feel as well as I do now as I undergo more chemo cycles followed by radiation. Will fatigue get worse with each chemo cycle? And will that get worse once I start radiation? Just wanting to know any of your experiences. 

Jacquie

Comments

• Cheryl D
    Cheryl D Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options

All I know is I could barely get out of bed after 3rd treatment of TCH, yours may be different though so don't take  that to the bank, radiation is surprisingly gruelling on you as well, I did not believe the nurses until halfway through week 3 and boom !

I say just do what you can when you can and if you can.

Fatigue is indescribable but if you get it you will know for sure.

Your treatments may be completely different so carry on as best you can and more power to you sister if you need it,

Regards

Cheryl

• Melg
    Melg Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I have just finished 4 three weekly cycles of AC and am about to start 12 weekly cycles of Taxol this Thursday.
    I am a preschool teacher working with 15 two year olds. My oncologist told me no work or visits to work till after radiation when she will review how I am travelling. The risk of infection is too high working with young children.
    I worked right up untill the day before my bilateral masectomy in November. I won't be finished my treatment till September.
    As a single mum of 3 I have found the stress of worrying about finances very difficult. I work for a charity that luckily pays for income protection insurance for employees but had a 90 day waiting period and pays a % of my normal wage which I am thankful for. I'm finding I'm not spending much when I'm sick at home :)
    Emotionally I have found it really hard to be away from my little ones. I love my job and really miss my babies. I often feel guilty being at home and when I'm feeling well have difficulty filling in my days.
    I had a challenging time with my AC chemo and doubt if I was able to that there would of been many days I would of felt well enough to work an 8 hour day.
    Goodluck with your treatment... Be kind to yourself and rest when you need to.
    Mel
  • Melg
    Melg Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I have just finished 4 three weekly cycles of AC and am about to start 12 weekly cycles of Taxol this Thursday.
    I am a preschool teacher working with 15 two year olds. My oncologist told me no work or visits to work till after radiation when she will review how I am travelling. The risk of infection is too high working with young children.
    I worked right up untill the day before my bilateral masectomy in November. I won't be finished my treatment till September.
    As a single mum of 3 I have found the stress of worrying about finances very difficult. I work for a charity that luckily pays for income protection insurance for employees but had a 90 day waiting period and pays a % of my normal wage which I am thankful for. I'm finding I'm not spending much when I'm sick at home :)
    Emotionally I have found it really hard to be away from my little ones. I love my job and really miss my babies. I often feel guilty being at home and when I'm feeling well have difficulty filling in my days.
    I had a challenging time with my AC chemo and doubt if I was able to that there would of been many days I would of felt well enough to work an 8 hour day.
    Goodluck with your treatment... Be kind to yourself and rest when you need to.
    Mel
  • klad39
    klad39 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was in full time employment and when I started chemo I just worked 1/2 days. I had chemo on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I found this worked well, During radiation I worked in the mornings and had treatment in the afternoon.

• klad39
    klad39 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was in full time employment and when I started chemo I just worked 1/2 days. I had chemo on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I found this worked well, During radiation I worked in the mornings and had treatment in the afternoon.

• Jaci
    Jaci Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was on full time employment when first diagnosed and originally cut back to about 30 hours per week.  Have not had any chemo or rads treatment or surgery as I am Advanced BC with mets and taking oral meds only.  However found that 30 hours was too much and discussed with my employer who agreed to trial four days per week at 5 hours per day which seems to work well.  

The social interaction is the part you would miss most I think.

However, we are all different and if you have flexibility with your employer and can arrange days/hours to suit how you are feeling I think it is best to continue working both for social reasons and your own mental health.

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jacquie

I was able to work from home some of the time towards the end of my chemo sessions and finished completely at the same time as my last session.  I think this worked out quite well because I found radio very stressful and upsetting - not the story most women have to tell, however, I think one of the reasons I found it particularly bad was that my support fell away at the end of chemo and I was very much on my own.  It has taken me a good 5 months after finishing radiotherapy to really get back on my feet because I reacted to the hormone therapy. I completely understand the stresses about finances and I basically have no money left, but my health is more important.  Every woman I have spoken with has an opinion on whether or not to work and it's a very personal decision.

I wish you every best through your treatments.  susie

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

I worked 4 days a week during my first chemo block (4xAC every 3 weeks). I then dropped down to 3 days when I started Taxol/herceptin weekly for 12 weeks. I had treatment on a Friday and also had Mon off. That worked well and I found I was not too tired. When I started the year having radiotherapy I worked full time and mangaged pretty well. I too miss the interaction and I'm convinced that this is what got me through. The support of these people I see regularly has been fantastic. ( being a teacher helps! Regular holidays etc.)Everyone is different though. I'm sure you will make the decision that is right for you.

Good luck with your treatment. I'll be thinking of you.

Alison xx

• donnar
    donnar Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had 6 wks sick leave after my mastectomy, went back to work and worked 4 days per week. Started my AC which fell on days which was within my sick leave cycle and over Xmas/ new year ( I only had 6wks leave owing) started taxol weekly and worked 4 days but did my emails and phone calls from home. I reckon I crammed in more in those days and essentially worked my hardest ever. I kind of didn't let go and a rest properly. I'm still having my taxol weekly, 5 more to go and just last week my position at work was made redundant. I was with the company for 8 years and was very sad that it happened but also scared at the same time. The what ifs and the security that a regular income brings. But look I got a redundancy package, I can get by for quite a few months and I'm seeing this as a bit of a green light to concentrate on me and my health for a while. Get through treatment etc and hit the ground running afterwards. Whilst this was all happening I moved house and am looking to get tenants into my house. I'm now living closer to my network in a groovy neighborhood in a new York style loft apartment in Fitzroy ! I liked the idea of being back at work, the interactions, being able to contribute as it helps you feel needed. I certainly measured myself a lot on my work. It is a bloody journey as they say and I'm realizing slowly ( starting to " get it " ) whats important etc all the very best on your journey and happy Easter ! Love, Donna xx