Breast cancer

sawsan
sawsan Member Posts: 1 New Member
Hi I've done mastectomy on my right breast..and they found 2 active cancer under my arms lymp mode..I have to.do chemotherapy first 3 months I have to do 4 sessions of chemotherapy every21 days..Nd after it I have to do it once a week for 3 months..so total 6 months chemotherapy..I'm so scared I Start chemotherapy Wednesday
16/10 24 I'm having second thoughts not to do chemotherapy I'm so scared..and radiotherapy..also hormone pills 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,023
    So sorry to see you here @sawsan - you are in the right place for any question that you'd like to ask.

I didn't do chemo, but my husband did - we called it the 'good poison' as it was knocking off those sneaky little cells that might lead to a recurrence - and not EVERYONE gets nasty side effects (or lose their hair) with chemo - some members even continued working thru their treatment xx .... your Medical Oncologist will explain all that to you.  If the Onc says you may/will lose your hair, ask about the use of a 'cold cap' - it can help reduce hair loss xx. 

Drink lots of water after each of your chemo sessions & make sure you take the tablets that they recommend, as it should prevent nausea etc.  Eat lots of small sessions of food, rather than a full sit down meal - just graze as you feel like it - rest when you need it (often it can be 3 or 4 days after the infusion - you'll just need to put yourself to bed. xx)

Also, feel free to check out this post for lots of interesting stuff on the Forum (lots of it is 'off topic' & can even be funny, as we all need a laugh!)  You can show us your garden, furkids, art & craft & more!!   
    There are also tick sheets down the bottom that you can print off & take with you to your appointments, specially re your mental & physical health, as sometimes it is difficult to put it in words, just easier to give them a copy of the ticked sheets!  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-new-online-network-members#latest

take care & all the best xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,420
    edited October 12
    Hi @sawsan

I had a chemo regimen that sounds about the same following a mastectomy and axillary clearance (only one lymph node was malignant). Four infusions of A/C three weeks apart and 12 of Paclitaxel, one every week. Just to be sure I also had a year of Herceptin and ten years of letrozole (hormonal therapy). 

Chemo sounds scary but not everyone gets really bad side effects. I didn’t have any nausea (sickness), fatigue or chemo brain. I worked throughout treatment. I did lose my hair but chose to wear a wig and most people had no idea I was having treatment (unless I told them) - I looked perfectly well. 

No-one recommends chemo lightly - it’s not pleasant but so far it’s one of the best ways of killing off remaining cancer cells and avoiding a recurrence. None of us wants to go through this twice! 

@arpie has posted lots of good advice but the short answer is that you don’t know how you will react until you start - so best to do so with an open mind, deep breaths and see how you go. And deal with one day at a time, one treatment at a time. Anticipating what hasn’t happened yet isn’t helpful. Now, however hard, is a time to live in the present. With any luck, you may find it easier than you fear. Best wishes.