Radiation - Is Moo Goo enough?

Janeo70
Janeo70 Member Posts: 12
edited October 1 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone, I am currently undergoing a 6 week radiation treatment, two weeks in. I am using Moogoo 3 - 4 times a day and my skin is healthy to start with. I am having underarm, left breast and left lower neck. Due to the large area, I have been advised to use Moo Goo 3 - 4 times a day rather than Strata XRT and our centre does not offer Metipel (plus it is so humid up here in Cairns so would not really be viable). My skin is healthy and I am feeling confident, just wondering if anyone else only used MooGoo and if they had minimal side affects? I understand the worst will be the two weeks post radiation and know that two weeks in is very early days. Thanks for your advice and feedback :)

Comments

• unicorn3
    unicorn3 Member Posts: 22
    I had the metipel film but they gave me sorbeline to use if it came loose over the weekend and after rads finished. I had very minimal skin changes just a bit red and itchy but no blisters and all cleared up within 3 weeks of completing treatment 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,444
    I had 20 rounds of radium and used the mepilex. I am in Brisbane and it was very humid. The nurses patched me up and after I used qv intensive. I had a sore spot close to the underarm which was very uncomfortable. The underarm is extremely tender. My skin was good and I am a big moogoo supporter but for 6 weeks of radium I think you would need more than moogoo. I believe the Strata xrt would be good to use during the radium treatment. It's not cheap but I heard it is as good as the mepilex. Best of luck to you for your treatment.
  • Janeo70
    Thanks so much @unicorn3 and @Cath62, really appreciate your feedback.
  • Sheri
    Sheri Member Posts: 3
    I had 16 rounds of Radiation with booster and I used Strata XRT. I used this before the first appointment and applied it twice a day and stopped using it four weeks after my last appointment and I had no swelling redness blisters.  I believe this product is worth its value. The Moo Goo is fantastic and I have used that on my skin during Chemo.
  • WhiteLight
    WhiteLight Member Posts: 38
    I used QV as recommended by the radiation nurse but my skin cancer doctor said MooGoo was better. I used both in the end 2-3 times a day and still got painful radiation burn that didn't come out until after radiation stopped. My radiation nurse just said more cream 6-8 times a day, but in the end my GP gave me a mild steroid cream. She said it was because I have fair skin.

So I hope you don't have fair skin and that the MooGoo works really well. You can always check with the Radiation nurse if you get worried with how its going. xx
  • Dee8855
    Dee8855 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,
    I’ve just finished 15 rounds of radiation and I’ve developed a very nasty rash which started on my left breast (the side I had the cancer) and has spread upwards onto my chest. It’s very itchy, sore and stings, I was given some hydrocortisone cream from one of the clinic nurses, and also advised to take a antihistamine tablet once a day, which I have been doing, but any relief doesn’t last long, and I’m back to the itching again. I also use Moo Goo moisturiser 2-3 times a day. I’ve been reading about what others are using and I must admit I’ve never heard of some of these products, like Sudocreme, Calendula and StratXRT. Are these all available over the counter, or are they prescription only? I’m happy to try anything! Thanks! 
  • slonimski
    slonimski Member Posts: 11
    I used STRATXRT and I am glad. The real problems with radiation startsthree weeks into it.
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 92
    Hi @Janeo70
    I had 25 fractions with a boost dose over 6 weeks and used just moogoo and qv. The worst was a week after finishing the radiation.  I then did some salt bathing and also used flamigel. After 2 weeks post treatment it all went away...nothing left to see! Also try to wear cotton or other natural fibres in that humidity so your skin can breathe! I had fairly minimal side effects.
    Best wishes for your radiation treatment. 
  • veenaga
    veenaga Member Posts: 5
    Moogoo Udder cream is fantastic. 3 x a day. Don't forget behind your shoulders and under your arms. Ask the tech to smother it on after each sesh. (The areas you can't reach) I have had no serious side effects other than like a slight minor sunburn (pink skin) which started after my treatment finished. Btw I didn't fully rub the cream in. 
  • Tropickle
    Tropickle Member Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 9
    Hello @Janeo70
    I completed 25 rounds (5 weeks) just over 2 months ago. I’m in Cairns and had the same area treated as you but right side. MooGoo Full Cream was great for me until about the third week, then I felt I needed something thicker so switched to La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume AP 4 times a day. The nurse at Icon approved its use and I’m still using it once a day to assist with dryness and the area is pretty much back to normal. My routine was to apply it in the morning, one hour before treatment, again straight after, then at night. Around the 4th week things ramped up and my collarbone skin started to break. I found wearing an off the shoulder loose top as much as possible helped a great deal with airflow and with nothing touching the area. The nurse at Icon gave me a little tub of Lignocaine mixed with Bepanthen to use over that broken area which provided pain relief and a protective layer which helped it heal quickly. I hope you are managing ok now with the hot humid weather having started, and that you are doing well.
  • Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 194
    I used sorbolene the whole way through, slathered it on after each session, in the morning and before going to bed, more if I felt I needed it. I had some minor redness like a mild sunburn, a bit if tightness and an itchy patch on my chest. I was told to use the sorbolene for at least 2 weeks after I finished the treatment, and I'm still using it now. My skin has gone back to normal like nothing happened. 
  • Janeo70
    Thanks @katie46 that makes me feel more confident and I am so happy for the outcome you had. :)
  • Janeo70
    Thanks Tropcikle for your comments, the off the shoulder top is a great idea. I'm so glad you are nearly back to normal, that's a great outcome. Yes I've finished my third week now and still Ok, but can see some pinkness just under my neck and wondering if I should try something different, I might look into  La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume AP - thanks so much for the tipo, I really appreciate it. x
  • Janeo70
    Thanks @veenaga for your comments. I will make sure top not rub it in all they way from now on in, that's a great tip and also leave for one hour before trweatment - I had been doing two, but looking back on my notes the nurse did say one hour - so thank you. I am pleased it worked for you, it has given m,e more confidence going fwd. 3 weeks in and 3 to go (plus the recovery which I know ramps it all up) xx
  • Janeo70
    Thanks @Coastiejas - the salt baths are a good idea post radiation, I will keep this in mind as I know the real issues usually start post treatment. I'm so pleased you had minimal side affects x