Newly Diagnosed - Diabetes & Treatment Side Effects

Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 1,095
Moderator moved @Dee8855 comment to dedicated discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed':

Dee8855 Central Coast NSW

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer, on my left breast, it was found after having my regular annual mammogram, and was considered fairly small 14mm, Grade 2, ER Positive. I had surgery 3 weeks ago, lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed, all came back clear, so I am very grateful that the outcome has been this positive.  I still haven't had any other appointments to discuss further treatment, but I've been told that I don't need chemo (another blessing) but will need radiation and hormone blocking treatment.  However, my problem is that I am also diabetic, insulin dependent and need to keep a very tight control of my blood sugars. I am concerned about what the effect the hormone treatment and radiation will have on my diabetes. I've been searching for any information about this, and most of it doesn't sound very positive. I know this is something I will need to discuss with my doctors, but I was wondering if anyone else has been through the same problem, and how they managed it? Just reading about the side effects of these treatments sounds very daunting, but having another chronic condition just makes it seem a lot worse. This is my first time on this forum, so I hope my question isn't too personal.  Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135

Hi @Dee8855,

This is really something you need to talk about with your medical team. Just show them how concerned you are. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago, and during chemo, my blood sugar levels spiked due to the chemo medication. I am just finishing radiation and did not notice any changes in my BSL. My oncologist put me on medication for diabetes, but it was still high during chemo. The medical team supervising my chemo took great care of my diabetes. Now, it is normal with balanced eating and medication. I am not sure how it will be affected by hormonal tablets when I start after radiation. But you need to keep an eye on your diabetes and ask any concerning questions. I do the same. All the best through your treatment. By the way, you can ask any questions on this forum to help you through your treatment. Keep asking and using this platform, as the network has been a great support to me during my cancer journey.

• Dee8855
    Dee8855 Member Posts: 6
    Hi @GorgyS,

Thanks for your response to my question, my diabetes is something I am really concerned about, and I will discuss this with my medical team (once I know who they are). It sounds like you are in good hands, and I'm glad to hear your diabetes is being managed well, and I also wish you all the best with your future treatment.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    edited July 31
    So sorry to see you join our select little group @Dee8855 - you should see your surgeon soon who will refer to to both the Medical and Radiation oncologists & they'll be able to cover all your questions & hopefully allay any fears you may have. xx

Re your concern re your diabetes.  Definitely discuss it both with your GP and your Cancer Team, as they will definitely know how to address it. 

As you are not having chemo, it hopefully will not be a problem.  My husband was a diabetic on weekly injections and on chemo day, we had to only have Boiled eggs/protein for breakfast (no toast/jam as that caused him to spike more) and that helped keep his sugar levels down before the treatment - it is the 'other stuff' they gave him to prevent nausea etc that was actually spiking his levels after his treatment!   

Do you keep a daily record of your blood sugar levels?   I know your Glucose monitor will keep the levels in the history - but if you fill in a daily log as well during your ongoing treatment, you can take it with you & show your team how they are 'going' at that point in time - as you'll notice a pattern if anything suddenly 'changes'  ....

This is a similar chart to what I used to fill in for my hubby.

Also, feel free to explore the Forum - the support from other members (like @GorgyS) is just fantastic. xx. As she says, ask away ANY question ... and there should be a few of us who will be able to guide you thru the answers!  ;) 

This thread shows many 'other' areas in the forum (away from the medical stuff, as we DO have a life outside our BC ...) We even have a laugh now & then, or show off our fur kids, our gardens, art & craft & many other areas of our lives xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-new-online-network-members#latest

take care & all the best for your upcoming appointments xx

• Dee8855
    Dee8855 Member Posts: 6
    Hi @arpie,

Thanks very much for your response, I guess I just have to be patient and wait until I see my medical team, and hope they will guide me through this process. Thanks for your advice regarding my blood sugar readings, I do keep a record of them, so that will come in handy.  I also have a fur baby, and I love my patchwork and quilting, so I will look out for similar interests! xx
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 851
    Hi there. @Dee8855 and welcome to the site. In the Day to Day you will find creative Corner in the posts in there you will find Friday Funnies. 
    Its my go to when I need a lift or a laugh. Or ideas
    Throw any questions at us someone usually had been there in one way or another. 
    Check out the Podcasts available on here or through the my journey app eg Charlotte Tottmans ones 
    Everyone is different we react differently but at the same time theres close similarities. 
    Though we all agree the WAITING WAITING and more WAITING part is the hardest whether its for results or the next step in the process it ties in with the fear of the unknown
    Do yourself a favour stay away from Dr Google or search engines on internet as it can lead you down a rabbits hole. This site and Cancer Council have up to date information relative to Aus. There are others but I usually just stick to these and my treating team. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Hi @Dee8855
    Yes, there is a lot of 'waiting'  and great patience is required xx  I am sure they'll have dealt with similar cases as yours xx. Make sure you STAY AWAY from Dr Google - there is a lot of 'old stuff' that comes up first - and is out of date & not relevant to your own diagnosis - and it can scare the pants off you!  So better not to go there.  Just rely on your Medical Team (and/or Breast Care Nurse) for quality information xx

Oh FANTASTIC!!!   We have some wonderful patchworking & quilting ladies here - and we'd love to check out YOUR stuff xxx.   I can't knit, sew, crochet or quilt to save my life ..... but if you want to know anything about fishing estuaries, I'm the one!!  ;)  That is one of my passions!  :) 

Whilst you are waiting for appointments & your next treatments, just try & keep yourself really busy, doing things you love!  I found the radiation to be relatively 'easy' but as yours is on the left, you may need to do some 'breathing techniques' that they will take you thru, so don't worry about it. xx.  Your Rads team will advise you on what lotions & potions to use during the treatment .... ask them about the possible use of Mepitel (it is a film that protects your skin from the rays.) 

Being in the central coast, did you have to do much travel for your surgery?  I am up in the Mid North Coast area & had my surgery in Sydney .... if you have to do any trips of 100k+, you can claim fuel & accommodation costs from IPTAAS.   It also covers if you have to do 200k+ in one week, doing multiple trips! You have 12 months from the date of the trip, to claim. 
    Check out the NSW info here:
    https://www.ruralhealth.org.au/sites/default/files/publications/pats-fact-sheet-and-guide-2023.pdf

We have some lovely members in the Central Coast, too ... so maybe you'll be able to hook up with them for a coffee & a chat when you are ready to. xx

take care & all the best xx
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 957
    Hi there @Dee8855...welcome to the group nobody thought they'd join. I had chemo and surgery in 2016/7 and although I wasn't diabetic at that time, I did have (and still do) a blood clotting disorder which had me on blood thinners (warfarin), which had to be changed to an injectable one...clexane. I was also on a few other medications to control my autoimmune conditions, and these were stopped except for my prednisolone. My medical team worked with each other to manage my situation, and when chemo and surgery were finished, I went back onto my old regime. I'm on a hormone suppressor(letrozole) and have been since 2017. I now also have steroid induced diabetes and take  forxiga and gliclazide for that. Hopefully your medical team will all work with each other with your care.