Second time around

Options
CarolAnneS
CarolAnneS Member Posts: 5
edited February 23 in Newly diagnosed
Well, it's been a long time between drinks - thirteen years to be precise - but I had the phone call today which has confirmed the suspicions.

At the age of 44, I went through my first round of breast cancer in 2011. I was diagnosed then exactly the same as now - Grade 2, 23mm lobular breast cancer. Funny that, isn't it. I had a lumpectomy, six rounds of chemo and six weeks of radio. But, being lobular, I was told that it was likely to recur sometime in the future, and - here I am. In the future - 2024. I'm now 57. 

I don't know much else at this stage, except that I'll have to go to Perth soon (I live regionally, in the far north of WA) for follow-up scans and a talk with a surgeon.

Anyways, it is what it is. Been there, survived, and I'm back to fight and survive another day. Happy to connect.

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your recurrence, @CarolAnneS. xx  Wishing you all the best for this round of surgery & treatment xx  

Don't forget to check out the PATS system over there, where you can get assistance with travel & fuel costs & accommodation when going back for checkups.xx  (See document below.)

Check out this post - there is lots of info on the forum 'outside' of the BC experience .... show us your garden, art & craft, furkids etc - and we even have some laughs with some 'funnies' ;)
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care & all the best
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    Admire your fortitude. Very best wishes for rapid, good and permanent resolution! 
  • CarolAnneS
    CarolAnneS Member Posts: 5
    Options
    arpie said:
    Sorry to hear of your recurrence, @CarolAnneS. xx  Wishing you all the best for this round of surgery & treatment xx  

Don't forget to check out the PATS system over there, where you can get assistance with travel & fuel costs & accommodation when going back for checkups.xx  (See document below.)

Thanks, @arpie, for reaching out. I'm good with the PATS system over here. Just wish it were a bit higher in their reimbursements, but I think I'm eligible for free accommodation now - if there's space. Apparently it's in very high demand and can be hard to get into.
  • WhiteLight
    WhiteLight Member Posts: 11
    Options
    So sorry to hear that it has reoccured, @CarolAnneS. I wish you all the best for your treatment and full recovery.
  • Milly21
    Milly21 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Prismay1. Did you just go back and request a double mastectomy and reconstruction? Years down the track I often wonder if i should have done that to save years of worrying,I definitely will if I have any more trouble,I’ve just come off tamoxifen and nervous. I presume you have to pay for it yourself? Did the doctors try to talk you out of it,as I asked for that when diagnosed and was talked out of it,they said it was overkill.
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 65
    edited February 27
    Options
    @Milly21 When I was diagnosed the second time my breast surgeon recommended a mastectomy but when he saw how freaked out I was he said we’d do a lumpectomy and see where we’re at after that. My cancer was small and slow growing and came out of the blue showing up on a routine mammogram.  After a couple of months I started to get anxious about a 3rd recurrence and how I’d cope with that in my 70s. I went to see a plastic surgeon to get options. My right breast was quite a bit smaller than my left after 2 lumpectomies and had a lot of scar tissue from radiation and surgery. The plastic surgeon gave me 3 options for reconstruction and a lot to think about. I went back to my breast surgeon and he did feel it was overkill and suggested we wait 6 months before deciding.  But I wanted it done and once I made the decision I couldn’t wait. The plastic surgeon’s rooms did all the arrangements and when I saw my breast surgeon after the surgery he agreed it was something I needed to do. He then told me that there a
    was an area of suspicious tissue in my good breast so it reaffirmed for me I’d  made the right decision.