Radiation therapy and support groups

Options
nicmaree
nicmaree Member Posts: 25
Hi, I start 3 weeks of radiation therapy this coming Tuesday. I'm feeling good, exercising and (trying) to eat well although still not a big fan of tofu and the odd deserts still creep in! And, I'm being as positive as possible. I have been reading a lot of the radiation discussions here which have been really helpful. This is such a good forum! :)
What I'm really missing are friends / people (who might become friends) who I can go and have a coffee, meal or just catch up with. A walk, something, anything! Local to me who have been through or going through BC. I live on Sydney's North Shore. Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding a group? I have found that most of my friends are very supportive but some have backed away. The people you least expect to. 
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I am not from your area however look through this link, it may help 
    https://www.bcna.org.au/services-and-support-groups/
  • nicmaree
    Options
    Thank you. ☺️ 
    I contact the Mosman group on the link but the lady whose details are listed hasn’t been involved with the group for more than 12 months. 

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,379
    Options
    @nicmaree How is eating tofu healthy? Ugh. Eat dessert. Always eat dessert. 
  • nicmaree
    Options
    🤣 I was told by the BC dietitian to include a lot of protein in my diet and tofu was really good source. I’ve also changed my yoghurt to a high protein one and increased the amount I eat of a lot of other foods. I’ve always eaten healthy food but, do have a bit of a sweet tooth too! . The amount of food they suggested   I now should be eating and including in my diet is massive! I’ve always eaten small meals and been a grazer. 
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Hi @nicmaree Im very naughty during chemo i ate what i could. During rads i was a bit better. I had lots of frozen meals. I had a foster child at the time DOCS were great with him and gave him extra mentor sessions which included cooking meals. It was interesting. I found rads more tiring than the chemo
    are you still looking for fellow Sydney siders to catch up with. Im meeting up with one of the members in the city on 15/1/24. I am  sure another it would be fine fir you to join us

• nicmaree
    edited January 7
    Options
    cranky_granny  would love to meet up with you and your friend on the 15th. I have rads in the afternoon but otherwise my day is free:)
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 707
    Options
    I’ll message you 
  • nicmaree
    Options
    cranky_granny  would love to me up with you and your friend on the 15th. I have rads in the afternoon but otherwise my day is free:)