IMPORTANT: BCNA's Online Network is getting a security upgrade 13th September 2023

Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 1,040
edited October 2023 in Community news and events

Hello members,

We recently notified you that we are undertaking a security upgrade for the Online Network. 

In line with modern online security behaviour, we're asking you to change your Online Network password to help keep us all safe. Just like it's good practice to update your passwords in other areas of your online life – we are asking you to reset your Online Network password. 

We are asking everyone to reset their password tomorrow on 13 September 2023. 

What do I need to do? 

Tomorrow you will receive an email from Vanilla asking you to change your Online Network password, and how to do it.  

We want you to know that even though the email is coming from Vanilla and not BCNA – it is legitimate and not spam. Vanilla is the company helping us with the tech to make this change. 

For security reasons this password reset request is only valid for 24hrs. So, keep an eye out for an email from Vanilla asking you to change your BCNA Online Network password and if you don’t receive an email, check your junk folder. 

Choosing a strong password 

Did you know some people still use ‘password’ or ‘123456’ as their password? 

Cybercriminals use tools that can easily crack such passwords in seconds. The stronger you make it using a mix of lower case, uppercase, special characters and numbers, the much harder it is to crack. 

What if I can't re-set my password in that 24-hour window? 

Don't worry, you get another chance.

You can request another re-set password email from Vanilla by going to your usual Online Network login. Under your Username and password, click on Forgot my Password. This will generate an email to you from Vanilla to re-set your password, with easy instructions. 

Of course, if you have any questions, please contact our Helpline on 1800 500 258. 

Comments

• Mez_BCNA
    'Bump' please read above important message
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,938
    edited September 2023
    Easy Peasy, all done - tho the first time I clicked on it, the 'link' expired almost immediately so had to do it again, which then worked fine  .....

And all the emails came from BCNA, not Vanilla, so even easier.  ;)

I've also taken a 'screen shot' of the new password & will keep it in a folder in case I forget it (along with all my other 'important' passwords'.)   I 'blank out' bits on the screen shot so it is still 'secure' in case anyone else gets access to my folder .... just leaving enough so I can remember it!  

Even after today's 'deadline' ..... you can still change it tomorrow (or when ever) as it will ask you to do so as your old password will no longer work .... 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,394
    Nothing received as yet - for those of us who won't be able to respond till late, I hope the access point is open in the evening! 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,914
    I had not received the email but just did it when it asked as I came onto the site.  Email came in later,

Weird wording on the email.  I've had calls saying we do not need to change it if we did not ask to do so.
  • ThelmaF
    ThelmaF Member Posts: 3
    Have tried three times, asking for new email/connectio and each time changed password has been rejected
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,938
    @ThelmaF .... maybe double check that your 'new password' is at least 12 digits long, with a mix of Caps & numbers?

• Mez_BCNA
    Hi everyone, thankyou for the questions and supporting other members. If for some unknown reason you do not receive the email to reset your password (The emails were staggered) you can request to reset your password yourself next time you login (TIP: logout of your account completely before resetting password).

I have taken screenshots of my 'test' user and how I reset my password. Hope it helps:

1. Click on 'Forgot?' next to the password field:

2. Enter the email address associated with your user account and click on 'I'm not a robot' and follow prompts; Click on 'Request a new password':

3. You will need to check your inbox for further password reset instructions

Continue to post on this thread if you continue to experience issues. I will escalate it to our IT team.
  • June1952
    @Mez_BCNA.  I did mine earlier but it would not let me in the next time I wanted to get on.  Had to do it again.  So far nothing in my Inbox.  What else do we have to do ?
  • Mez_BCNA
    Hi @June1952, have you logged out completely and logged back in? You are still using your old password then at this stage to login?
  • June1952
    @Mez_BCNA.  Yes, and it makes me re-do it every time.  No wonder people are getting confused.
  • Mez_BCNA
    I have flagged this as an urgent issue @June1952, sorry for this inconvenience
  • June1952
    No problem @Mez_BCNA.  I got in first time this time.  A big job for Vanilla as many members won't have been on for a long time.
  • Mez_BCNA
    @June1952 you could also try clearing your cache (note: this will delete your browsing history and saved passwords across any sites you have previously visited). Here is example of Google Chrome instructions on how to clear your cache https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop
  • June1952
    Do that every time I leave the system @Mez_BCNA
  • Mez_BCNA

Update from the Vanilla technical team in relation to some of the duplicate password email requests:

"Because our script was working with such a large list, it kept timing out and needing to be restarted.  I was assured that the script would not resend emails to those it already had, but that evidently wasn't the case."

Apologies to members who did receive duplicate requests and had to change their password numerous times. We hope this issue has been resolved.