Biopsies and MG

Options
GinGin
GinGin Member Posts: 111
Hello my friendly support friends, it’s me again!
sorry, this maybe a silly question and it’s actually standard procedure 
I will be having biopsies on 02 Aug. it’s going to be core biopsies (both breasts). My breast care nurse tells me after the core biopsies, they will be doing MG ( same day). I thought the breasts would be sore after biopsies and it wouldn’t be fun to be put through the photocopy machine?
Is this ‘normal’?

p.s. I had US and MG done on 14 July already.
Tagged:

Comments

• Aska
    Aska Member Posts: 61
    Options
    GinGin I had multiple biopsies. They did mammogram, and on one occasion an MRI, to check they had biopsied the suspect tissue in question.  When doing biopsy they insert a metal clip that they then detect on mammo. I hope this makes sense
  • GinGin
    Options
    @Aska, make sense now. Thank you!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,588
    Options
    Maybe just ask if you could have the MG 'before' the biopsies?   Sometimes the biopsies are done with ultrasound guidance too ..... tho as @Aska says, the MG will pick up any clips .....

From memory, mine were just straight biopsies, no clips.   The biopsy 'gun' DOES tend to be quite loud tho, so be prepared for the 'bang' ... I wasn't expecting it and I almost launched myself with the 'start'!  LOL

Yes, the biopsy areas can be a bit bruised & tender after the biopsy, but that usually 'comes out' some hours later - or the next day.  I've always found my MGs to be quite uncomfortable & often painful .... not sure if is because I have dense breast tissue that doesn't like being squished??  

take care & all the best
  • GinGin
    Options
    @arpie- my first MG was painful as my breast was already in a bit of pain due to the lump (I suspect). It actually become a little swollen (getting better each day though) after US and MG.
    My breast care nurse tells me with my core biopsies, they will be using the US to guide as there are different areas where they need to take my tissues. I’ll give my breast care nurse a call tomorrow to find out more as there are different types of biopsies. Thank you very much for writing to me. :-)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,588
    Options
    Message sent xx