Skin checks

Options
Cath62
Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
This is just a reminder to get skin checks along with every other checks ✔️ we all do. In some cases breast cancer has links to melanoma. Chemo too can bring out skin issues.

I had 3 melanoma before my skin cancer diagnosis in 2020. I have had a history too of abnormal cells in many of my moles. Post breast cancer and chemo I have had 2 more malignant melanoma ( one recently diagnosed) and a SCC. I am ok as these are detected early. I am waiting for surgical removal in July. 

The message is to get your skin checked so if any issues arise they can be found early and treatment is available. 

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    This is very timely!
    I have been having regular skin checks for a long time and never even do much as had a BCC but just got diagnosed with an early stage melanoma on my face I thought looked like an age spot.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    A VERY timely reminder .... thanks @Cath62 - I haven't had a proper skin check for years (well before my BC diagnosis) and have got a couple of 'age marks' on my face that I think need to be checked as they are quite large (approx the size of a 5c coin) ... so need to make an appointment.

One of my uke players has just had a BCC and SCC removed from her upper lip & will need more removed as well .... 

take care xx

• Cath62
    Options
    @Julez1958 and @arpie best thing to have regular checks. Caught early is the key to success otherwise the story is not a happy one. Even melanoma caught early can have significant scaring. I had a level 2 on my back which has a 13 inch scar, others that were level 1 have 4 or 5 inch scars.

I had the genetic testing but not brca gene for me. Brca 2 links melanoma and breast cancer but Even without that gene it is still a strong link.

I am dreading my next surgery for my melanoma as it is on my ankle and there is not alot of skin there so who knows what it will be like or my recovery. My morning walks will be off the agenda for a while I 🤔 
  • arpie
    Options
    All the best for your melanoma surgery, @Cath62 .... you will certainly be incapacitated by it for a while .. but it is amazing how quickly they get you back on your feet again.  A buddy had a skin graft that just 'wouldn't take' on the top of his foot (another very 'shallow skin' area .... and it just wouldn't heal even after numerous hospital interventions & use of a steam machine ... So he visited us at the beach & would get a fresh tub of clean sea water every day, & soaked his foot in it .... and the surgery site slowly 'closed up' and healed!   AMAZING 

take care xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I had 3 skin things came up very aggressive and within 12 months biopsies said it was cancer. They were quickly nipped in the bud with theatre and surgery and that was the end of it which was a good thing. Unfortunately the whole theatre thing messed with my mind as all the memories of breast cancer surgeries came flooding back and that then messed with my heart rhythms. Turned out a good thing as I finally got the psychological help for healing from the breast cancer. I thought I was fine but apparently I really wasn't so not only keep an eye on skin checks but also check your mental health and get help if needed too.
  • arpie
    Options
    Good on you @Brenda5 - I saw a psych last week too & am feeling more calm & in control too. take care xx

• Cath62
    Options
    Thanks @Brenda5. I couldn't even count the number of skin biopsies I have had in my life. I got to about 46 or so and just stopped counting. 5 have been those malignant melanomas. Yes breast cancer surgery and I have had about 10 other surgeries under general anaesthetics for various things. It's alot and it is traumatic. I dread doctors, scans and tests but I know I have to stay on top of my health so I do. I did see a psychologist during active treatment and it was good. I actively manage my mind health and look after myself every day with exercise, good food, friends  hobbies etc. I hope you stay well and no more surgeries. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    @Cath62 I just had my skin check. All good but Dr will do a biopsy and keep an eye on one spot but she isn’t concerned, just cautious given my circumstances. One other spot is being biopsied to determine if it is fungal or eczema, as it is persistent. I recommend everyone have this check to keep your mind at rest.
  • arpie
    Options
    All the best for your results @Cath62 xx

I need to make a booking & get checked all over - it has been a few years now, I think!  A friend has just had surgery for a small melanoma under her CHIN - but had a 'Y' shaped scar with 50+ stitches!!! 

She reckons it was from reflected glare off the water, as like me, she has fished all her life .....
  • Cath62
    Options
    Thanks @Blossom1961 and @arpie.

I go go skin checks every 6 months. On Monday I had 4 biopsies and 3 of these are for suspected melanoma. 

Both my oncologist and dermatologist advise that there are links with melanoma and breast cancer. Certainly brca gene is present sometimes in people who present with both but there are also links without brca. 

I had 3 melanomas before BC and one after BC. I was diagnosed with MBC in July 2023 and also with an early melanoma which has been removed.  Now I have 3 more suspected melanoma but if they are melanoma at least they will be cut out early because I am checked so often.

Even though the melanomas that I have had were found early the scarring is very big compared to the tiny canerous mole or melanoma.  I think I could play dots and dashes or snakes 🪱 and ladders 🪜 on my body with all the scars I have now 🤔
  • Cath62
    Options
    Good news this time. Two biopsies came back abnormal cells but no further cutting anything out required. The other biopsies were normal. They will keep an eye on me at my 6 monthly checks. So relieved.