achievement!

Blossom1961
Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I am so proud of myself. Today I went to the dentist to get a filling replaced, and I DIDN'T CRY! I was shaking afterwards but I did it. Go me.

Comments

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    That is fantastic, Go you.  I totally understand from what you have been going through recently, that you should be proud of yourself, but also would have been OK if you did shed some tears there.  Keep pushing forward, you have some work in front of you, and anytime you want to share the little wins it is good and not ridiculous.  You go girl. :)
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Good on you @Blossom1961. It takes alot for me to have courage to go to the dentist. I really hate it but I have been working on that fear for years. I am getting better about it. I am pleased you got through your appointment.
  • Blossom1961
    I usually break down in tears whilst in the chair and continue until well after I have left the clinic. Just thinking about having to make an appointment makes me very anxious.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    @Blossom1961
    Go you 👏👏👏
    I love my dentist and know he is a perfectionist and loves being a dentist.
     doesn’t  stop me being 10 out if 10 on the anxiety  scale!
    years ago when I had root canal therapy and a crown 😱😱
    I said to him “ next time how about I give you $2,000 and you don’t  touch me?”
    He said “ sounds like a win /win”.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Well done, you, @Blossom1961 .... I've always hated the needles too - and I hate the fast & slow drills as well!!

I had a big resin rebuild 2 weeks ago & also surprised myself - the needle for a block anaesthetic is a bit like a wasp sting - they put the needle in many times, at different angles, to make sure it WON'T hurt during the filling - but the needle is almost as bad as the filling!! 

It brought moisture to my eyes .... but that was it!   

I used to cry back when my Dad gave me needles (he was a dentist) and often, I'd be in tears before i even got onto the chair, just thinking about it! LOL. And he was FAMILY!

• Keeping_positive1
    The dentist I am seeing is gentle, and I have found most are, but what I find hurts the most is the cost... ouch!!!! 

Although I must say I think I am more anxious these days with any medical/dental procedure.  It doesn't get any easier, just because we have had lots of medical/dental procedures prior.  You did well @Blossom1961 .

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I have been engaged in saving a molar I don’t want to lose and found an ondodontist who does painless root canals - all three! Most impressed. He’s also one of the most time and motion savvy practitioners I have ever encountered, everything done with maximum efficiency. I get so intrigued I forget about any unpleasantness! A good medical
    practitioner is an excellent thing. 
  • Blossom1961
    @Keeping_positive1$430 for one filling was a shock to the system. Hubby had a tooth extraction for less than that (also today). We like to do things together  :s
  • Keeping_positive1
    edited February 2023
    @Blossom1961 much cheaper just to have teeth out, but so glad you got to keep another one of your pearly whites. :smiley:

@Afraser he sounds like a gem.  If I need to engage an ondodontist I will follow up with you and get his details.  I presume he is in Melbourne somewhere?  
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    @Keeping_positive1

I am all for keeping one’s teeth! The cost of plates or implants is significant, gaps are unsightly and often impact other teeth. While I have always attended a dentist, as you get older so do your teeth! But life can throw enough curlies at you without dental
    problems you may be able to avoid. Very happy to pass on details, I’ll send a PM. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Thank you @Afraser