Welcome New Members 22nd December 2021

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874
edited January 2022 in General discussion

A very warm welcome to our newest members this past week:

@NadiaC @Phultus @Shannyn @Curly21 @kaz136 @Nat_slats @BeeCee

You have found your way to Breast Cancer Network Australia’s (BCNA’s) Online Network. This is a forum where you are not alone and can engage with generous members who provide meaningful support to each other. You can share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with to other members. Please explore our various Groups for members who are looking for greater peer-to-peer support.   

The following links may also be helpful in getting you started:  

Our long-time members (newbies too!) are a wealth of information regarding the useful discussion topics and information available through BCNA’s Online Network, therefore please do not hesitate to post your questions.  You have the option to add details about yourself to your ‘profile’ and if you would like more targeted member responses, you may like to add where you live ( eg. Sydney, Melbourne, regional Victoria etc).  

If you need help navigating the Online Network please message myself @Mez_BCNA or one of our other moderators @Jenny_BCNA @Carissa_BCNA @Pat_BCNA @MichelleP_BCNA @Anna_BCNA @Kate_BCNA . 

Please note: The online network is not moderated by staff/volunteers on Sundays, however if you need something actioned the quickest way to resolve your query is to contact the Member Support Team via email contact@bcna.org.au or phone 1800 500 258 Monday to Friday 9 am - 5 pm AEST.

Comments

• Shannyn
    Shannyn Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome, although it’s not the best journey to be on it’s nice to know there is a community to seek reassurance in x
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Take care @Shannyn - tell us a bit more about your story so far .... jump on if you have any questions or queries & all the best for Xmas & New Year xx

• Shannyn
    Options
    Thanks @arpie
    I was diagnosed on 15th November and had surgery on 7th December

I met with the oncologist yesterday and gave me the treatment plan of 5 months chemo followed by radiation and then a tablet to take for 10 years.

They removed 14 lymph nodes of which 9 have cancer, waiting for my CT scan results which I’m quite concerned about. 

Start chemo on the 11th Jan after second surgery that’s happening on the 4th. 

All a lot to take in for the moment 🙈
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    oh, that's a bugger - I hope you are recovering OK from your initial surgery. xx

You've had a lot to take in @Shannyn- I hope you have plenty of support with family & friends.  Say 'yes' to any support that they are offering - whether it be meals, mowing the lawn, walking the dog or hanging out the washing.  They will be wanting to lighten your load in any way they can. xx

All the best for your CT results xx.  It sounds trite, but try & keep as busy as you can (which is normal around Xmas ....) as this disease mucks with your brain even more than your body. :(  Stay away from Dr Google, as everyone's case is totally different - and a lot of the stuff on google is outdated and obsolete.  Has your team discussed immunotherapy possibilities or trials?

At least you now have your plan .... I was lucky & skipped the chemo - just the surgery, rads & tabs .... but hubby is currently going thru ongoing chemo  :(  He was supposed to have it today, but his bloods were a bit low, so we have a reprieve til Jan 4!  

Have you joined the Mets group? @Mez_BCNA may be able to join you up - where you can discuss treatments,  queries and/or rants in total privacy (this part of the blog is 'public') .... all reactions are perfectly normal here.  xx

take care & all the best xx

• Shannyn
    Options
    Thanks again @arpie

no I haven’t joined the group, how do I go about that? 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Hi @Shannyn, not sure you need to join the mets group if your cancer is just localised to breast and lymph. Not all bc that is in the lymph means it had metastised. Perhaps wait to see how your CT scan goes before jumping into the met group.

You may be fine and the cancer may not have spread beyond your lymph. Treatment has advanced so much that even if bc is in the lymph it can have a really good outcome.

Hopefully you get a good result from your CT. Best wishes for your chemo and surgery and results. 
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874
    Options
    Hi @Shannyn, I can see your request to join group and have accepted. If you find it is not suitable to your personal needs you can leave the group at any time. Its great to see other members already providing you with support and please reach out to the Member Support Team if you need any further resources 1800 500 258