3 Breast Cancer Doctors who were diagnosed with BC discussing their treatment & how it changed them.

Options
arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,579
edited September 2021 in Health and wellbeing
Check this out - it will be 2am 'our time' ..... but if you register - you get access to the video link afterwards.

I have just registered & my 2 questions are Controlling the side effects of aches & pains from AIs (specially using medicinal cannabis oils) & My concerns with Drs dismissing the depth of mental and physical despair relating to the continual side effects from AIs.

Advice From Doctors Who Had Breast Cancer

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2021
12 PM ET

Website to register for the video link:

http://breastcancer.activehosted.com/index.php?action=social&chash=b3967a0e938dc2a6340e258630febd5a.361&s=2bbaaa26ed64cf346684b10097d21e42

Do you want to improve visits with your doctors, feel more confident in shared decision-making, and have a better partnership with your care team?

Register to hear from three leading breast cancer doctors who also went through their own breast cancer diagnoses.
In a candid conversation, they’ll share what they learned when their roles changed from healthcare provider to patient.
Even if you can’t join the live event, register to receive a video link.

TOPICS INCLUDE HOW TO:
  • Advocate for yourself and your needs

• Better prepare for medical appointments

• Make the most out of time with your doctor

• Evaluate important treatment decisions

• Open the lines of communication with your care team
I would also suggest you read the UK Breast Cancer Surgeon's BC Blog - Liz O'Riordan ..... It is a very honest & candid account of how badly her Stage 3 diagnosis at age 40 has affected her both professionally and personally - and she also had a recurrence a couple of years later.  She is now a HUGE BC Advocate following her own experiences as a patient receiving treatment.

Even if you don't register for the discussion - DEFINITELY, read her Cancer Blog

http://liz.oriordan.co.uk/

Comments

• Sue_w
    Sue_w Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Registered. If it is as powerful as Liz Oriodan's TED talk, it will be very valuable listening.
  • gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    thanks so much @arpie for this information 
    Ive registered too x
  • arpie
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @SoldierCrab - this one could be good for your Facebook Groups xx

Hopefully once we've got the link to the video - we can put it up here for anyone to watch, too!  ;) 

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    thanks Arpie added to the groups on facebook :)

• arpie
    Options
    Here is the recording of the Webinar ..... I haven't watched it yet, but would encourage you to.

https://www.breastcancer.org/tips/empowered-patient
  • arpie
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I think this video should be made available to all newbies @Mez_BCNA? .... (Direct Link below)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkhDD5uynzU

Marisa Weiss, M.D., Breastcancer.org chief medical officer, spoke with Lynn Jeffers, M.D., MBA, FACS, and Anne Peled, M.D., about their experience as dual citizens — both doctors and breast cancer patients — for a Breastcancer.org webinar. All three women have had breast cancer, which has influenced how they help and support their patients with firsthand knowledge of a diagnosis and treatment.

“I want to remind you that you deserve the best care possible. I understand the fear, stress, and doubt that accompanies a serious health issue like cancer and how hard it can be, sometimes, to trust in the treatment you’re receiving and the doctors you’ve chosen to take care of you,” said Dr. Weiss. “Finding empowerment through knowledge, clarity, and a supportive community is why I started Breastcancer.org over 20 years ago.”

In the webinar, Become an Empowered Patient: Advice from Doctors Who Had Breast Cancer, the doctors share what they learned during that transformative chapter in their lives and provide tips to encourage everyone to take an active part in their own care. They discuss ideas for how someone can improve communication with their doctors, prepare for appointments, be involved in shared decision-making, and advocate for their needs.

They answer your questions and discuss what they learned when they went from the role of healthcare provider to patient, sharing their unique perspective and actionable tips. You’ll hear how to:

• better prepare for and get the most out of medical appointments
    • improve your partnership with your doctor and care team
    • feel more confident in shared decision-making about your care
    • become your own best advocate when managing your health
    There is some very constructive information - validating what we often tell newbies too .... to take someone with them to their appointments, write (legible) lists of questions (I do mine on the computer & print them out.)  Make sure you TELL them all your side effects & fears .... 

Validating that if you are not happy with your care, that you CAN choose to see another Dr/surgeon/Onc/Rad Onc .... 

Validating Scanxiety fears (my '4 years from detection' MG & US are in a few weeks ....) 

Making sure the Medical Team knows what you want long term (not just short term, ie getting thru the treatment) eg getting to your children's University Graduation even if years down the track, or their weddings .... 

Definitely worth a watch, cos, like us, they've stared down that barrel of fear, too & have been surprised at how it has affected them personally - even tho they'd treated hundreds if not thousands of patients with similar diagnoses.

And here are more videos from the same group - breastcancer.org
    https://www.youtube.com/c/breastcancerorg/videos
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874
    Options
    Thanks for this @arpie, I will check it out myself too. Also have mentioned this to the team if we can include it in our directory of external information for newly diagnosed people.