Support

Barks34
Barks34 Member Posts: 39
I was diagnosed in 2018 and had a double mastectomy and chemo, as a side effect of the chemo I have neuropathy pain in my feet and I have tried everything and the latest doctor told me there is nothing left to try and I will always have it. How long can BCN provide support, I am really struggling and sometimes wish the cancer was terminal and then I would suffer every day and be reminded of what happened and all the consequences. 😢

Comments

• Barks34
    *wouldnt 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    I am SO sorry to hear you are doing it tough, @Barks34.  Neuropathy is a shocker ... my husband has it with his feet.   I think the Helpline (on the blue banner above) is only available til 5pm ....  so please use this lifeline below if you continue to feel down this evening xx. Sometimes, it is easier to type a message than to talk about it .... then call our helpline tomorrow xx. 

Take care xx

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,710
    @Barks34

Neuropathy pain feet is a recent discussion

Vicks Vapour Rub

Click on this link

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23536/pn-in-toes
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi there
    i didn’t have neuropathy but DID have really awful lingering pain after my mastectomy in October last year and it got me really down as I was the sort of person who never even got a headache before and I was trying to get off the painkillers but couldn’t.
    I finally seemed to have turned a corner and then the radiotherapy stirred it up again.
    I tried acupuncture through the Kinghorn Wellness Centre in Darlinghurst Sydney and the results were amazing, after a few sessions I was well on the path the recovery.
    I know they can sometimes help with all manner of side effects for cancer treatment.
    It may not work for everybody ( and if others on here have had personal experience with it for neuropathy that would be good if they could share) but my view was “ nothing ventured nothing gained”.
    Also your GP should be able to give you a mental health care plan and referral to a psychologist if the pain is getting you down ( which is perfectly understandable).
    All the best.
  • Barks34
    Thanks have tried acupuncture with no success 
  • Carissa_BCNA
    Carissa_BCNA Member Posts: 252
    Hi @Barks34

I'm sorry to hear about how difficult things are at the moment. I've just sent you a private message. 

Carissa
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,374
    @Barks34 I had no problems after my first chemo in 2006, but the second in 2016 was a different beast. 

I went from working full time and able to cover 5 km faster than most my age, to stumbling around falling over my own feet.

Literally falling over. 

The pain was terrible.

It's taken 4 years, but even though it is the first thing I think about in the morning when nothing below the hip works properly, it has improved.

I've gone from trying to find a car park 200mtrs away from where I needed to be because I was terrified about falling over in the public view if I'd been sitting in the car for any more than 10 minutes, to being just moderately lame. It still hurts, but it is not as bad as it was, and is better than I had been told to expect at the two year mark.

Standing on one foot helps strengthen the muscles that support your dead feet. But please hang onto something while you are doing it. Aquarobics really helped, but that is not available to everyone for many reasons. Once I get going, I can walk distances again, but I'm still screwed when I stop.

Hang in there, don't give up yet. 
    Mxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,427
    I shouldn’t complain as my feet don’t actually hurt but it would be nice if they stopped feeling, too often, like hobbit feet - very large, furry and clumpy! With the added ‘blessing’ of feeling as if you are walking on foam rubber. It sounds quite comfortable but it’s a bit like walking on a trampoline.The feet look perfectly normal. I have found practice in simply overriding my brain when walking helps most, and I can do it almost perfectly, but that skill evaporates if I try it when running. So I don’t. And thank whatever that my feet don’t hurt! 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,469
    I found a fantastic manual lymph drainage massage person. I had the treatment last January and only occasionally get twinges. My pain was in both my little toes, bottom of feet and my legs.