Hot weather headwear

MicheleR
MicheleR Member Posts: 343
Its warming up in Adelaide. My scarfe and Hot flushes are making me warm. I can't wait to get them off when I get home from anywhere.  

Any suggestions?

My sister said can't you take it off if you are not embarrased when you are out and I said im not embarrassed but its a state of undress like taking your undies off when you are wearing a skirt midway when you are out. 

She gave me a link to something called a coolcap. Ive bought 1 to try out. 

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi Michelle
    I am also feeling the heat when we have warm days in Melbourne.   Sometimes i have even ripped my headwear off in the car home from treatments because I am melting.   I do worry a little about summer and what I will do.
  • MicheleR
    I bought a fedora but I'm unsure if it would fly off. I thought the coolcap might be worn underneath. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    You can buy ‘straw’ hats that are actually made of paper. Soft to tender scalps, light and durable. Most online outlets for oncology headwear will have something of the sort. 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi,

I am currently having radium but prior to that chemo so my hair atm is less that 1cm. I walk daily for 45 mins min. I have a cotton hat I can wash and I have a couple of straw hats I wear as well but put a little bamboo cap under them . Boy my head sweats under all of them. Not much can be done in humid Brisbane.  I take my head gear off when I can and after my walks I just give my head a rinse with water.
  • MicheleR
    edited October 2020
    Here is the link to the cool skull cap. No idea if it works but going to have a try

https://www.coolcoats.com.au/products/cooling-skull-cap
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Cotton pattern scrub caps were my go to in summer. I coukd take off and put back on easily. The ones I had also had a gap at back which helped keep my head cool.

Here are some. They can be made easily if you sew. I got mine second hand.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=scrub+hats&qid=1602900432&sprefix=scrub+hats&ref=is_pp_2
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    I found cotton bandanas the coolest for my head and when my hair grew half an inch, I rolled the bandana into a headband and tied it at the back.
  • Mazbeth
    Mazbeth Member Posts: 199
    The lady at the wig shop suggested wetting the little cap I wore under my wig - it wasn’t the stocking type one, more a cotton cap. She said to put it in the freezer for a little while and then wear it to help with keeping my head cool.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Just make sure that you do wear something, not so much about embarrassment, but you definitely don't want a sunburnt scalp.  I've never been much of a hat wearer but these days I wear a baseball cap out on the water (hair has grown back but the Letrozole has thinned it).
  • Jen2019
    Jen2019 Member Posts: 26
    Hi MicheleR,

How did you go with the cooling skull cap? I am planning to get one as my hot flushes are so terrible. Thanks for sharing the link.
  • auntyjac
    auntyjac Member Posts: 1
    Im wondering about those cooling caps now too! I've started getting hot flushes and theyre horrid!
  • MicheleR
    Actually i received one but then forgot. Will wait for a warm day and report back. 
  • Jen2019
    Jen2019 Member Posts: 26
    Hi MicheleR,

How did you go with the cooling skull cap? I am planning to get one as my hot flushes is so terrible. Thanks for sharing the link.

• MicheleR
    Trying it out tomorrow under a sunhat at a bbq. Hasnt been warm here yet. 
  • MicheleR
    ooh. I like it. It is cooling for the scalp. Has a legionaire thing at the back to protect neck. It feels a little big on but that gives the illusion of height.