Home Day to day Night Howls

It’s lonely at 2:15am

kamadakamada Member Posts: 70
edited August 2020 in Night Howls
No one to howl with tonight *sigh* Guess it’s back to bed for another try at sleeping. 
Tagged:

Comments

• PennyleePennylee Member Posts: 4
    @kamada I was up!  sleep has not been good to me of late !! I'll keep in mind next time to check in here next time lol 
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 4,894
    Hi to you both - there's a discussion thread in here that may suit 

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/19269/night-howls/p189
  • ddonddon Member Posts: 347
    I was up too! Every night. Every single night. I wake up now just before midnight and my best sleep is after 4.30am. It is lonely for sure. There is no hope, and everything is grim in the wee small hours of the morning. 
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,705
    Being a three in the morning waker from long before breast cancer, I have learned to like the quiet time, although that may require muffling my partner’s snoring. I do sudoku to stop my mind from wandering to worrisome things (always seem worse at that time of the morning) and avoid lying staring at the ceiling! People haven’t always slept through the night in one hit, we are links to another era. Not thinking about being awake is hard, but it’s the only way for me. The ‘get up rather than stay not sleeping’ theory would have me averaging about three hours a night! So I’ll stick with the little boxes. Best wishes. 
  • kamadakamada Member Posts: 70
    @ddon that sums up how the other night was for me. A couple of nights earlier the wheels had unexpectedly absolutely flown off my bus and totally wrecked what had been a lovely family get together. So embarrassing after holding it all together for a year through the worst of the treatments. So I was still licking my wounds and was looking for distraction. You probably didn’t miss much @Pennylee and @ddon 😂. 
  • ddonddon Member Posts: 347
    I used to love climbing into bed at night, worn out, looking forward to sleep. Now, just something to be endured. Sweating and hot, tossing and worrying. So good when the sun comes up. 
  • MightystarMightystar Member Posts: 32
    I hear you @ddon Sleep just doesn’t come. I normally fall asleep to a movie on Netflix after midnight. The movie noise keeps my mind away from other things, I choose movies I’ve seen many times so I’m not so concerned about what comes next ☺️. I put it on again if/when I wake in the middle of the night. If I pick up my phone I start working and then there is no chance of sleep!
  • rebeccamarierebeccamarie Member Posts: 25
    I’m sorry to everyone who isn’t sleeping! Since starting chemo on Thursday, I have found that I can’t stay awake past 8.30pm but then I’m wide awake again by 11.30 and the earliest I seem to get back to sleep is after 3am. I’ve been trying lots of tricks to no real avail - tv, soft music, meditation, even getting up for a little wander and a late night snack. I think, for me, it’s these dexamethasone steroid tablets I’ve been told to take each morning with breakfast, but either way I can definitely relate. I feel okay when I wake up, just tired and frustrated because I want to be sleeping so badly! If I discover any tricks, I’ll be sure to post them. 
    Hi @rebeccamarie. That sounds so familiar and I agree that the dear steroids are the cause. My first chemo experience was the same but then it changed with following sessions and I would go to sleep easily until around 3am when I would be wide awake and ready to spring clean the entire house for the next few hours. My onc gave me a script for temazepam and they helped a lot. I still woke but was sleepy enough to roll over and nod off quickly. You only have to take them when on steroids but sleep is very important in coping with chemo. It is a well known chemo problem. Hope you can get a solution. 😘
    Thanks @kamada,
    I don’t think I have to take any more steroids for the rest of this week, so hopefully I’ll sleep a bit better, but I’ll be sure to let my oncologist know and maybe he can prescribe me something to help me sleep next round, too.  
    @rebeccamarie I should have been a little clearer. I found there seemed to be a residual effect from the steroids so the sleep problems could also occur at other times during the cycle as well as when actually taking the dexamethasone. Of course the chemo drugs probably also played a part in sleep pattern disturbances but either way help is needed and beneficial. At least the burst of energy is helpful getting a few things done before “crash day” arrives 😉
    Thanks @kamada,
    this round is quite similar sleep wise for me but I did end up sleeping ok for the second week which was great. I’ve got a script for temazepam this time that I might take if I need it. I thought I’d sleep well last night because I was exhausted but alas lol I’m feeling okay though. I might have a little day nap later today lol 
  • Giovanna_BCNAGiovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,848
    Hello everyone, 
    Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne produced the following booklet which you may find helpful.  
    Can – Sleep:  Making night time sleep problems go away.  A guide for people with cancer.
    kind regards

Thank you, Giovanna_BCNA,
    that resource looks really good! 
  • SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 4,956
    I have been without a proper night's sleep for so long.  As with @afraser, I have learnt to embrace it or I'd go crazy, although I do get up.  It does, however, mean that I really need the odd nanna nap - just wish that I was able to do that as it would make life much easier.