Pretty Post-Mastectomy Underwear - My List of Online Suppliers

Options
Gavroche
Gavroche Member Posts: 31
Firstly I wish to thank all the women who contribute to this forum. I have learnt so much from the experiences you have shared and truly value your support and insights.

Although I am still in chemo, I am preparing for my post-mastectomy life. I have spent considerable time finding online sources for pretty, comfortable and practical underwear solutions. I want to share these with you.

Several of these companies were founded by women who had breast cancer and couldn't find suitable underwear, so they started their own companies and designed the products.

The US-based stores can be expensive as prices are in US$ and shipping is extra. However, these stores also have special deals for your first purchase etc and one, handful.com, has a lifetime 30% discount for breast cancer survivors on bras and active wear

Once you sign up for the newsletters, there are regular sales as well. The size guides are easy to use - remember US sizes are different from Australian. When I wasn't sure, the stores were prompt and helpful in the replies. I am pleased with all my purchases from these stores - quality and very soft fabrics.

1.    Handful: All bras are sold with Handful's thin pads. The are stackable pads, so if you want a fuller look you can use two or three sets of pads. I bought bras, tank tops and extra stackable pads. There were some really good deals in the sale section.
https://handful.com/collections/sale

Plus there is a 30% lifetime discount for breast cancer survivors. Register first here, wait for approval and then make your purchases.

Cary Kim runs the survivor program. Super helpful. She asked me to advise this:
"Please make
sure your Aussie survivor sisters put in the “how did you hear about us”
that they are in Australia so I can directly communicate about working
together on the order to make sure they get the right style bras and
pad sizes/colors/amounts".

2.   Busted Tank: Started by a breast cancer survivor. It offers a range of tanks/singlets with an elastic-free pocket in which to insert one of their single length, lightweight foam breast forms. https://www.bustedtank.com/shop-essentials

Items sold separately. Breast forms are $12. I opted for teardrop shape. There is a 15% discount on your first purchase if you sign up. I had some sizing queries and they replied quickly. From online forums, Busted Tank's sizing seemed generous and I was glad I checked with them first. I am Australian size 10 and opted for Handful's small size.

There is currently a sale on some designs.  https://www.bustedtank.com/shop-essentials

3.   AnaOno: Dana Donofree was diagnosed with breast cancer at 27. Post surgery she couldn't find comfortable, sexy lingerie so set up AnaOno. There's a 15% discount on your first order after signing up to the newsletter. Postage is reasonable - a flat US$25 via FedEx.

As well as some bras, I bought a lovely robe with drain-management belt.

The fabric is gorgeous. AnaOno participates in New York Fashion Week. All of the models in the runway shows have been diagnosed with
metastatic breast cancer, and all proceeds from the show benefited METAvivor, which funds metastatic breast cancer research and awareness initiatives. The last show raised US$200,000.

4.   Athleta: this is a division of Gap. From the online forums I read, Athleta's Empower Bra Inserts were hands down the most popular. https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=372047002

Very reasonably priced at 2 pads for US$10 - though read carefully the size guide which explains how the forms are sold. Most sizes are on back order until end April.

The most frustrating aspect of Athleta is that it does not ship internationally - not even to Canada! So I sent my order to a friend in California and she then posted on to me. I contacted Athleta requesting that it consider international shipping. They replied promptly that they are looking at it. Fingers crossed.

I liked that there was a lace insert between the cups. When I bought them there was a 20% discount on these bras and shipping was free because the total was over $70.

I hope some of you find this supplier list useful.

Tagged:

Comments

• PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Thank you @Gavroche, that is very useful.  I had bilateral mastectomies last week and was planning on doing some online research, you have done the hard work already.  
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Thanks @gavroche It's always good to hear real reviews when contemplating online purchases.