Cooling Cap

Waterloo
Waterloo Member Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Will be having my first round of AC Chemo next week and was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it is worth it?  Believe it's very cold and I tend to get headaches even without having anything cold on my head.

Comments

• Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    I went as far as putting it on but for me it was claustrophobic and cold - I have a phobia so I am probably not a good person to ask haha. 
    There was a lady who was having chemo at the same time as me and she wore it every time, her hair was lovely and she didn't lose much hair, she just said that the cap had to fit snugly?  She came in earlier and left later than me but she was happy with the process. Another lady I met lost a little bit of hair on one side of her head where the cap didn't fit properly, just a small bald patch that was easy to cover with her hair.
    One of the ladies on here, maybe Kez?? had it and she has lovely long hair, it worked well for her. Worth a try, good luck next week.xx
  • Waterloo
    Waterloo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Nefertari.  I'll probably decide on the day how I feel. Initially, I was going to give it a go but after reading about the temperature the cap needs to be, it freaked me out.  Will ask the oncology nurse.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Bald is beautiful @Waterloo
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It adds a lot of fussing around to the treatment (and quite a bit of time either side) but I think if it works, its worth going for.  I did it for my first two but I ended up with a bald strip across my head that I couldn't comb over.  That was the point at which I said enough (with agreement from my kids) plus the time it took and angst of looking after my hair when I really couldn't be bothered decided me.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    @Waterloo
    It's definitely worth trying and it's great that you have the option.  A lot of people don't even get to try it which I think is a shame.   I used it the whole way and it worked brilliantly.  This is my story off the paxman website if you want to have a read

https://paxmanscalpcooling.com/experiences/testimonials/kerry-muscat

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 25
    I’ve gone through two rounds of chemo and haven’t lost any hair yet. I won’t pretend it’s pleasant but I think it’s worth a try. If you take a couple of Panadol just before the cap is turned on it helps.
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Hi @Waterloo
     I’ve just finished four rounds of AC chemo with cold capping.  Have just decided to give up.  Mainly because my hair is so thin and fine to start with, so when I lost  about 60% of it ,I ended up looking  a bit like a an orangutan and wouldn’t go out in public without a beanie or a cap anyway.  Decided for me not worth it. Getting the rest  clipped off on Wednesday.
    I reckon if your hair is thick give it a go. 

PS Yes it’s really cold but the nurses can give you something to sedate you, which really helped. 
    It also helped pass the time in there much quicker. :)
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Caz1. This is my third time being bald. My hair grows a little bit in the 2 week break between infusions. I now go to a barber to have my hair cut. They know bald heads.
    The first time being bald, I  wore a wig to work. I had many compliments.
    The second time, I  wore turbans.
    This time, I  wear a hat to work, then take it off when I  get there.

• Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    @Patti J lol.  There is a wig room at my hospital, so I’ve got a wig.  With  that you get a voucher for  a local hairdresser who offers chemo patients a free trim or shave when their hair falls out! Good deal :) 
    i figure they will know bald heads too..... ;)
  • Lane
    @kezmusc Can you tell me if it is safe to go to a hairdresser for a trim while using the cooling cap for chemo, or might hairdressers be too rough?
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    @Lane,  I just left my hair alone and didn't bother, but I am sure if they didn't shampoo and were gentle with the comb it would probably be fine.
    xoxox
  • Lane
    Thanks @kezmusc