Get Connected Day!

Options
Di_BCNA
Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
edited October 2011 in Day to day

Hi all!

We've had a lot of new members join the last few weeks, so it seems a good time for a "Get Connected Day" post.  :)

So, for everyone who's new, and those who haven't posted yet, here's your chance to introduce yourself by leaving a comment here, or by making a post in your own blog. 

As always, the purpose of the Get Connected post is to provide a place where you can widen your connections, so everyone is welcome.

Don't be nervous about giving it a go if you've never posted before -- you can't really break anything, and you might make a whole bunch of new friends. :) 

What to do...

Comment to this post (use the comment form at the bottom of the page). Tell us something about yourself -- your diagnosis, treatment, family, favourite recipes/craft/exercise, anything at all -- and who you're looking to connect to.  Easy!

If you'd rather make a post in your own blog, then just go to the 'blog' section of your profile, click on 'create a post' and type in the fields. To see everyone else's posts, go to the Network homepage, click on the Latest posts tab and scroll down (or you can bookmark this link: http://www.bcna.org.au/node/all/blog/network).

If you see someone with experience similar to yours, who you'd like to connect to, then just click their username (in their post) and you will end up on their profile page.  Then all you need to do is look on the left side of the page under their picture and you'll see an "add contact" link and follow the prompts.

Why connect to others?

One of the good things about connecting to others, is that all of their blog posts will show up on your homepage in a reading list.  So if you haven't visited the site in a few days, you'll still see what everyone is up to!

*Important note!*

Remember to check your own privacy settings on your "edit" page. There's no need to reveal anything personal or private, but if you want others to connect to you, you should make some of your My Profile settings "public" so others can see them and find out a bit about you (eg. 'my story', 'about' me' and 'breast cancer experience'). 

If you're not sure what to do, you might like to read this post on how to change your privacy settings

Have fun!

Di

(if you want to go back and browse the old 'get connected posts' to find out a bit more about our members, just click on the 'get connected' tag).

Comments

• Yvonne42
    Yvonne42 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just joined today, I am Yvonne 42 ( I am 42 years old) and I have posted the recently diagnosed blog.

At the end of this week I am going for my first cycle of chemo.  I have had my breast surgery- it was on the 29 September- a mastectomy of my right breast and axilla clearance.

My lump was 5 and a half cm long and a grade 3.  Four cycles of chemo, every three weeks- up until the end of this year, followed by 5 weeks of radiotherapy.

How I found out, was I was experiencing a very very strange kind of pain around my right breast leading up to my period time.  The full story is on the recently diagnosed blog.

Cheers

Yvonne.

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Yvonne, and welcome! :)  Thanks for jumping in and sharing your story with everyone.  You seem to be finding your way around the site okay, but if you need a hand, or have a question about how the site works, just ask. 

~Di

• LeanneI
    LeanneI Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Yvonne - welcome to the BC sisterhood.  One which we have not chosen but all share a common bond no matter what our experience.

I was diagnosed last year at 45 with DCIS and with horrid family history, chose to have bilateral mastectomy and recon.  Was a long drawn out process with 6 surgeries but am now done and dusted. I had gene testing and did not find a mutation however Mum was then tested and in August this year found to have the BRCA2 gene mutation (she had BC at 36 then 48 and is now 71). My two sisters then were tested and one received her result last week - BRCA2 positive and the other i have been with today to get her result - she does not have the gene.  SO Mum is having hysterectomy & ovaries removed on Monday next week and my sister will have same surgery in coming months (she is 44).  My youngest sister (42) and I are almost in no mans land - my BC sits in the unexplained basket and she is classed as being at moderate risk - without the gene, however with my history thrown in for good measure.  Gee life is interesting sometimes!

This forum is a fantastic resource, sounding board, & venting space. It has many ears to listen and mouthes to provided words of support, wisdom and general understanding.

Remember our journeys are all different but the bond is shared.

Bye for now

Leanne

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Yvonne! Welcome to BCNA blogging. We're an open, honest, friendly, understanding bunch and I know you'll feel right at home here. I've just turned 43 and am 4 and a half years on since diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy, 6 lots of chemo over 18 weeks and a month of radio. It was a horrible year but a lot of good has come of it too. I still have my down times here and there but it certainly gets better with time. BCNA has opened many doors for me...and breast cancer opened the door to BCNA!

All the best for your chemo. We'll hear from you again I'm sure.

LeeS

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Yvonne! Welcome to BCNA blogging. We're an open, honest, friendly, understanding bunch and I know you'll feel right at home here. I've just turned 43 and am 4 and a half years on since diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy, 6 lots of chemo over 18 weeks and a month of radio. It was a horrible year but a lot of good has come of it too. I still have my down times here and there but it certainly gets better with time. BCNA has opened many doors for me...and breast cancer opened the door to BCNA!

All the best for your chemo. We'll hear from you again I'm sure.

LeeS

• Anne W
    Anne W Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello All

I was diagnosed with a DCIS last week and am about to have my consultation for radiotherapy.  I had no strong indication of the DCIS except I've been very tired and headachy lately and decided to have a few health checks.

I was pretty strong after the surgeon delivered the news but this week its all caught up with me and I have finally succumbed to outbreaks of tears.

I'm in my fifties and have been having mammograms during my 40s as my paternal grandmother died of breast cancer in her fifties.

I'm thankful I have a supportive husband.

Regards
    Anne

• morry
    morry Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer just recently after free from breast cancer for 16 years. Quite a shock I can tell you.

I am planning a short overseas trip with my daughter and grand daughter and was wondering if anyone has a few clues that might help me with travelling ect. I do not want to be a burden to them. I take Zometa and Femara.

Appreciate any help.

Regards morry

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi morry, welcome to the site.  Sorry I missed your post until now, but there's been a couple of conversations about travel insurance you can look at.  There's a couple of places in the site where you can find out more about travel insurance.  Some of our members talk about their experiences, here: http://www.bcna.org.au/user/1160/blog/13481, and you can also look at the Fact Sheets page, which has a couple of downloads about Travel Insurance.

Hope that helps. :)

Di

PS. sometimes people don't see these older posts so you may not get many responses. If you make a new blog post in your own blog (just look for the link in the pink box on the right side of the page when you're logged in), then it will show up on the All Posts page and everyone will see it. Let me know if you can't work it out. :)

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Lynno, and welcome! :) Sorry to hear you're having a rough time, but I'm really glad you found us here. Post as much or as little as you like, everyone is pretty friendly.

Often members don't see comments on these older posts, though, so the best thing to do if you'd like to chat is to make a post in your own blog, and then it will show up on the All Posts page and others will see it there. To find your blog, just look at the right side of the page when you're logged in, and you'll see a pink box with your profile pic etc. in it.  There's a link to your blog there.  Hope that makes sense, but let me know if you get stuck. :)

• Lynno
    Lynno Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Di

Thanks so much for the tips i will check it out and see how i go.

• morry
    morry Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Di

Thank for your help about insurance. I must tell you my experience. I made my booking with Flight Centre and then the question about  travel insurance came up. As I had a pre existing condition I had to fill in a medical report form and send it to the insurance company concerned. I was knocked back.They were happy to insure my baggage etc. but not me. At that moment I just felt I had no value.

As I was a member of a Probus Club I recalled that they had travel insurance.I filled in the form had my Oncologist have a letter typed stating that I had metastic breast cancer and that he had no concerns in my travelling over seas. I paid $200 and they were very happy to insure me. 

I will be off overseas in two weeks to see my sister who I have not seen for twenty-five years. There will be days when I am sure I will feel tired and not able to keep up with my daughter and grandchild. This may be my last time but I have decided life does go on.

morry

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Seriously, some people need lessons in being human, don't they?  So glad you got it worked out in the end -- it's definitely good peace of mind, isn't it?

Hope you have a fabulous holiday, and don't worry if you have to rest now and then -- might be a good lesson for your travelling companions to stop and smell the roses a bit!  (... and that's just me projecting my own frenzied travel habits, I"m always very very grateful when I'm with someone who wants to rest more! :)

• Lynno
    Lynno Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi All

Well i have been feeling a little flat this week having the flu again. I feel that my immune system is never going to get back to what it was before the cancer.  Does everyone go through this and get everything that is going around. I am glad i have you guys to talk to even though i love my hubby and my kids they just don't understand the struggle you go through after you finish all the treatments. I hope you all are doing well and hope to talk again soon

Lynno

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Lynno, Sorry to hear you're sick again -- It is so frustraiting when you feel you can never get on top of the flu!

As Di mentioned (above), you might be better to make a 'Blog post' which will show up on the All Posts page and others will then see it and be able to comment and share their experiences.

To 'Create a post' you need to go to your 'Blog': [Select the link] http://www.bcna.org.au/user/7483/blog

Once you get to your 'Blog' you can then select 'Create a post'.

Let me know how you go and just shout if you need a hand.

Cheers,
    Daina