Mastectomy

Options
Mic80
Mic80 Member Posts: 46
edited March 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Hi all, just a quick question... I was due to have a bilateral mastectomy with diep recon this Tuesday but cancer was found in nodes so they have decided to just remove right breast and put in expanders until treatment is complete. Was wondering what others peoples experience was with this surgery? Eg recovery time? How long in hospital? Pain?
Thanks for all your wonderful words of wisdom xx
Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @Mic80. I didn't have a mastectomy,  so can't really help you from that perspective.
    Have you joined the Choosing breast reconstruction private group?
    ://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

You need to request to join, then you sometimes have to wait for one of the admin to be online to approve you.
    @Jane221, @melclarity, I'm trying to think of who's had expanders. @primek

Hope this helps a little
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Mic80 I havent had expanders but I have had the diep flap. Happy to chat over in Breast Recon..

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

There's alot of support there, request to join and we can certainly help you with lots of information.

x M
  • Mic80
    Mic80 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Oh of course.... yes I have joined that group, I will re post there, sorry xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hi there. My photo story is in the reconstruction group.
    I had expanders put it with a matrix sling unser the pec muscke. I was in hospital 4 days but that was mainly due to post op nausea. My expanders were 3/4 filled from the start. It was tight but mainly I noticed weakness in my arms due to chest muscle being cut but this quickly returned.
    I found them initially really uncomfortable (like a sewn in bra) but by around 5.5 weeks I was doing everything I could before...just avoiding weights until week 10 by the physios advise.

Hospital stay times seem to vary a lot depending on tbe Doctor.