Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Organic/Vegan Main meal ideas

Options
Anne Maree
Anne Maree Member Posts: 173
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Just want to invite people to share meal ideas/ recepies that work for them. Many of us have families with children and transitioning to this new life style is very difficult while adapting to many other aspects that come with being diagnosed with breast cancer. I thought we could start separate one for breakfast and lunch too. I find breakfast and lunches need to be quick and easy to keep them up in the long term. I have a family that loves flavour,eat large meals and like variety so this has certainly been a challenge to me. I find people start off on the vegan lifestyle very eager but struggle after about 1 month. This is a good reference to refer people to when they are starting out, or getting bored with their routine.  Please be detailed with each idea so those of us not familiar will know how to prepare it from the entry.

Comments

• spandayabe
    spandayabe Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

I/'m a foodie and highly recommend Simon Bryant's book "Vegies" though Vegetarian it has ample to get you going and most are easy.also 

http://www.holycowvegan.net/ if you like Indian 

my fav recipe for brekky which I coook lots of and then freeze is

This gluten-free recipe can be made a day ahead.

1 cup quinoa?3 cups water?2 cups coconut milk?1 banana?4 tbsp walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped?Agave nectar or honey to sweeten, to your taste?2 tbsp grated or shredded coconut?2 tbsp chia seeds?2 tsp cinnamon

Rinse quinoa under cold water and drain. Bring water to the boil in a saucepan and add quinoa. Cook for about 15 minutes, until water is absorbed and grains are fluffy. Cool, add coconut milk and refrigerate overnight. When ready to eat, reheat quinoa and coconut milk in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Add chopped banana and half the walnuts. Add agave nectar or honey and stir. When hot, pour into a serving bowl. Top with remaining walnuts, grated coconut and chia seeds, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Serves 2

From About Life

Also I make lots of Quinoa burgers and Tofu burgers and put them in the freezer to have later with Salad or Veggies I just made Persian Mushrooms and they were delicious

Persian Stuffed Mushrooms

8 large Flat or Field Mushrooms

½ cup Dried Figs – soaked for 1 hour

½  cup Pepitas

¼ cup Walnuts

1 bead Garlic

1” ginger – minced

2 tbsp Tamari

½ tsp Garam Masala

1 tbsp Olive Oil

Preparation

Blend Figs, Pepitas, walnuts, Garlic, Tamari, Oil and Ginger in a food processor til the mix resembles crunchy peanut paste. Spread about a tbsp of mixture in the Mushroom cup. Sprinkle extra Tamari and olive oil over the mushrooms and bake in a moderate oven until the mushrooms are cooked. About 15-20 minutes.

Serve on a bed of baby Rocket or Spinach Leaves.