Three days in.

sumha
sumha Member Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in Day to day
It’s been three days now since my mother has been diagnosed with cancer. It all seems so surreal. I’ve been holding all my feelings in so well until last night. I wasn’t even thinking that hard about it all and all of a sudden I just couldn’t breathe properly - I had an anxiety attack. I feel bad for this happening right infront of my mum as I really don’t want to upset her even more. 

Im obsessing over this situation and thinking into things more then I should be. My mum has had a cold (I hope it’s a cold) for a little while before she found out she had cancer. She hasn’t had her MRI yet and I’m seriously worried that she’s already at stage 4 and the cancer has spread somewhere like her lungs which is causing this dry cough. 

I want to get good news back but we won’t know anything until Friday next week. I want to be assured that everything will be alright.

This has been the toughest thing I’ve ever had to deal with. 

Thank you all for all the support and I hope everyone is doing well. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Breathe! And breathe again! You are doing just fine. Waiting is very hard and we have all, at least once, imagined the most dire outcomes. Try hard not to look too far ahead, half the things we worry about never happen. Concentrate on tomorrow. Then the next tomorrow. It's amazing how far you can travel, one step at a time. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I know that someone suggested Canteen to you.  Here is the link to their support page: https://www.canteen.org.au/home/how-we-help/counselling-and-individual-support/  
    It might help just to speak to someone with the professional expertise to get you over this time.

There is professional support available through BCNA as well: "BCNA Helpline team on 1800 500 258 between 9.00 am and 5.00 (Eastern Standard Time) Monday - Friday."   They may be able to point you in the right direction. 

Try to avoid Dr Google, now... Remember that a lot of the information on there is pretty alarmist and often quite out of date.  Breast cancer treatment has come a long way in a short time and you don't know the particulars of your Mum's cancer.

Your Mum will be anxious about herself but just as anxious about you -  that's not to make you feel guilty but to look after yourself as well.  You haven't said if you have other support networks that both of you can tap into.  Distraction during this time of waiting can be good - not necessarily anything major but maybe walks or visits to (understanding) friends, cooking or swimming - things like that that don't take any major commitment of thought or energy, but things that you and your Mum like to do.

Christmas can make it extra hard but you and your Mum will get through it.  I can speak from experience on this one as I was diagnosed just before last Christmas and my kids (11, 12 & 15 at the time), while I know they were scared too, were a fantastic support to me. 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @AllyJay Painting a clear picture, as always.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Giovanna_BCNA have you any specific resources for this person to link into 

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @SoldierCrab
    Thanks for the message. @sumha sorry to hear that your mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Its a hard place to be and understandably you are worried about her.  You have been provided with some great information from our community members.  Canteen is a great organisation and provide support for children from 12 to 24 years.  See the link below for further information.
    https://www.canteen.org.au/home/how-we-help/counselling-and-individual-support/
    Also, you can always see your Doctor if you feel that you need to speak with someone about how you are feeling.  Take care of yourself over the next few weeks, keep us posted and finger crossed that results are all good.