Milk fistula after surgery and breastfeeding

Options
Pookie
Pookie Member Posts: 8
edited December 2018 in Newly diagnosed
I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 42 years of age, 2 weeks ago. I have had a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy while still breastfeeding my 17 month old. I now have a milk fistula, which is leaking milk from the incision. I am trying to wean my son over the next few weeks, as I need radiation in january. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar and what advice they have for dealing with the leaking milk fistula (I've seen my surgeon and they just said to wean ASAP)? I am sad and emotional to have to wean my son, as it's something that is a close bonding experience for us, but at the same time, I know I've given him 17 months of breastfeeding which is great. I don't feel like anyone else around me understands that this is a difficult thing to have to do. 

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Oh gosh Pookie, I didn't have this problem but I do remember how sad I was to wean my daughter after 15 months of breast feeding. My firstborn was dreadful at breastfeeding but my daughter was superb and I loved doing it. There are so many sadnesses associated with breast cancer, we don't need another one layered on top, do we? However, remember that the best thing for your son is you, present and thriving in his life. Keep your eyes on the prize, a healthy you.

You might like to join the Young Women's group, as there may be some more women breastfeeding there. Scroll down and click on Groups.

Big hug lovely. Look after yourself and let us know how you get on. K xox
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    Hi Pookie I know the feeling about being sad about weaning.  Bad enough at the best of times far less when under duress.  Apart from others on here that may have experienced what you are going through have you tried talk8ng to the Australian Breastfeeding Association?  They will definitely have information about weaning and may have information about your problem as well
  • Pookie
    Pookie Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you Sarnicad. I had thought about contacting the ABA and have a contact there. I should contact them for some advice. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It was a sad time just weaning my sons (at 16 months) but I had to as pregnant with my next child (twice had to) and I found breast feeding very very painful at that time.  I can only imagine how difficult it is knowing you have no choice. Your bond will always be there and you can still cuddle and feed. Your breasts have done you proud. Now  it's just time to rest them and let them heal. Kath x