Organ Donation

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
I just read on a bc fb site that I should have the organ donor thingie on my driver's licence taken off.  It makes sense but I had never thought about it.

Comments

• Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Yet another thing this takes, we can't give blood either.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,568
    I took Keith off the organ donors list back when he had his cancer diagnosis & chemo in 2010.   So, even tho I didn't have chemo, I am assuming my organs would be no good either - even tho the cancer was only in the breast ( but do we really know?!)  

I am not sure if prospective recipients are given the choice of whether their organs come from a 'clean skin' or a cancer patient ....... I know who I'd choose tho!!  

It really should be spelled out in very clear English - as to who CAN donate their organs and why!   

Mind you - we CAN still donate our bodies to Science, for them to see if we can help them with other things ...... (just not organ donation!??)
  • Sister
    I think the problem has to do with the immuno-suppression drugs that the receiving patients have to he he but I could be wrong.  I hadn't even given it a thought.
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    I hadn't thought about that either, but I guess it makes sense. 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    I knew I couldn't,  for five years after active treatment. Have never found anything on the precise reason
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    I am contemplating trying to
    leave my body for scientific research, might as well try and do some good with it after I quit the premises! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Afraser You may have problems giving yourself away. I do read or hear on the radio from time to time that it's such a popular thing to do the organisations that use bodies have more than they can use! If you do look into it, let me know what you find out.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Yes I'm aware of that so to some extent it may depend on how "interesting" you are! 
  • Sister
    That reminds me of when I used to work in the Uni Accounts Dept.  We would get the bills from the undertakers listing the bodies of the people they had transported to the medical building by name.  It was a bit disconcerting as Adelaide's not that big a place.  Eventually, they decided to use ID numbers instead as a privacy measure.

@kmakm, Meeeeeeee! (that's a mutant cow moo)
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I got a phone call when I had just started chemo as they wanted my blood type - told them “u don’t want my blood at the moment”. The person I spoke to had a look and apparently I can start donating again 5 years after I finish tamoxifen. So if I’m alive and healthy I can start donating again when I’m approximately 60. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited November 2018
    @Sister   :D
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,374
    @AllyJay @Sister  😂 I laughed out loud just as my 30yr old daughter walked in. She is concerned at my sense of humour. I'm not sure if you ladies or the chemo warped me but I fear I may have already been warped.