Reconstruction Latdorsi

Options
Annabelle
Annabelle Member Posts: 45
edited October 2018 in General discussion

Hi all,

Im booked in to have the latdorsi reconstruction after a total mastectomy 16 months ago. Surgeon says I don't need an implant or expander as I have enough tissue to make a breast. Has anyone else had this procedure?

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @Annabelle. I had this operation 14 years ago. However, because of the size of my breasts, I  have silicone implants. I had a free flap reconstruction because of my scoliosis. It was a very big operation, but completely worthwhile. 

• Annabelle
    Options

Thanks for the reply @Patti J. Did you have any ongoing issues not having your latdorsi muscle?

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    The two issues I have @Annabelle are reduced strength in my back, which doesn't  really stop me from doing anything phyical. Because of my scoliosis and the removal of my muscle, wnen I  am  doing yoga, the right side of my back isn't  stretchy. So nothing major.

My son, who gives great massages, has an exercise and sport science degree and is an extraordinarily good personal trainer, believes that because I  am so active and fit, my back muscles have developed to compensate for my missing lat. dorsi.

Aesthetically, my reconstructed breast looks good. I have had needling on my scars to stimulate the collagen.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi @Anabelle, I had an LD reconstruction with an implant on the left, over a year ago. I’ve been very happy with the results. The weakness doesn’t worry me too much and I don’t really notice it. It was quite a big operation for me and it did hurt a bit, but you need to ask for pain relief. There’s a reconstruction group on here that will have more info for you. There’s also another reconstruction group that I have to remember the name of. All the best. 
  • Annabelle
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback xxx