Chemo Detox

Options
Kerry-Lee47
Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
edited September 2018 in Health and wellbeing
High everyone! I’m 2 weeks post my last Chemo and am considering doing a detox to flush out the toxic build up but I’m not sure when to do this? Has anyone got any experience in this or a detox they can recommend please?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I would be cautious about inflicting anything else on your body.  The chemo will work it's way out by itself - I doubt that anything else (other than drinking plenty of water) is likely to help.  Others may have different advice, though.  Do check with your onc about anything.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    If you take all processed foods out of your diet for even a week it makes a massive difference. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I would just suggest lots of fresh fruit and veggies, lots of water and good carbs like brown rice. 
  • Louise J
    Louise J Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Kerry Find a good naturopath/ integrative dr or Chinese medicine dr to help you do it correctly so the toxins come out gradually. Plenty of fresh veges, fruit and cold pressed vege/fruit juices every day helps restore balance - good quality organic chlorella/ spiuluna reduces heavy metals as well. My onc has said any supplements are fine with AC or EC except curcumin...I’m going to do a cleanse as well when it’s all over in a month and  will have an integrative dr who understands both conventional and naturopathic medicine to help with it. 
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I bought some bentonite clay (cheaper online) and followed this bath detox recipe :
     2 cups Epsom salts
    1 cup baking soda 
    1 cup organic apple cider vinegar
    ½ cup bentonite clay
    10 drops of medicinal quality essential oils 
    The clay makes the water go a bit 'muddy'  but it also has 'pulling' qualities to help the body get rid of toxins.
    Don't know if it did or not but I always sleep like a baby afterwards!
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Just to add too, I switched to dandelion root tea after coffee started to taste awful during chemo, and my friend tells me when she was growing up in a Croatian household , it was fondly known as 'wog coffee' and is a great liver detox  .
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That’s great advice x
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Kerry-Lee47
    Thanks for your post.  I understand that you are only 2 weeks post chemotherapy and keen to 'detox'.  I would encourage you to speak with your medical oncologist about any detox regime that you may be considering.  I would also err on the side of caution especially as your body is recovering post chemotherapy. 
    I have attached a link below to the  'About Herbs' app via Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, you may find this helpful when researching certain vitamins, minerals or herbs.
    https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I would just be focussing on nutrition. Eat colours of tbe rainbow in fruit and veg...even juices in addition won't hurt...have adequate meat products and lots of water and your body will do the rest by taking what it needs. 

Recovery is the focus now. 
  • MeganM
    MeganM Member Posts: 60
    Options
    I focussed on nutrition and changed my thought process..if the doctors wanted me to have chemo and it works then it should exit normally and keep working for as long as it is designed to. Seemed to work for me but I also respect your own feelings on the subject. In my case my energy  gradually returned and I celebrated every milestone including the one when I wanted and did clean out the fridge without being exhausted!