My right breast doesn't feel the same anymore ... Is this the new norm post lumpectomy, chemo & rad?

Options
viking1
viking1 Member Posts: 288
I had my lumpectomy in June 2017 and lymph nodes in right arm removed in July. Chemo stopped at Xmas and rad in March. Now I am just on Herceptin until Oct. I have been noticing changes over  the past few months that are more apparent now. I see my breast physio regularly for massage and exercises for the scar tissue in my right arm, side and breast...causes pain and cramping. I noticed a while ago that in the bath my right nipple doesn't get cold i.e. erect. I don't mind a lazy nipple, but have also noticed my areola area feels rubbery and not soft like my left side. My breast physio has me massaging the area to help with pain and breaking down scar tissue. The onc says it's unlikely the scar 'lump' or little ball of scar tissue in my right breast will break down. The breast physio says from her experience, wait and see! Has anyone else had changes such as lazy nipples and rubbery areola ? I'm not in a relationship but wonder if I was would it feel different or strange to someone else. Oh, and my dentist tells me I have no saliva so need to use a special toothpaste and mouthwash...this is from the rad. Hmmm still wading through the collateral damage. Xxx

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi @viking1 Glad to hear you made it out the other side, even if it sans saliva and with a rubber nipple. It sounds like you have a few people still onboard, if they are saying wait and see, that's probably all you can do unless something really spooks you. Mxx
  • viking1
    Options
    Hi @Zoffiel ! I have been quite quiet just still attending appointments but am  almost at the end of the line...probably just breast physio or even outside physio for scar tissue pain to keepp. My breast physio nurse said some ppl don't get it, just keep exercising the arm and massaging twice a day. Can also be due to the radiation pneumonitis/fibrosis … just bad luck. It should ease off about Dec. The rad onc said it usually lasts 9 months. How are you going? Xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Still plodding along @viking1 Its been two steps forward, one step back which is frustrating sometimes but I choose to think I'm getting somewhere. Quite where that somewhere is is yet to be determined.
    I'm starting a new job next week--equal parts of excitement and trepidation on that front.
    mxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @zoffiel What's the job? (quiet squeal of excitement, here!)
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @viking1,

I am just coming up towards the two year mark from lumpectomy and aux clearance, Rads finished 12 month ago..  I don't think it's ever going to feel exactly normal again.  My nipple isn't lazy but has taken almost till now to get some feeling back.  It's still reasonably numb but seems to be improving.  I get a sharp pain behind it every so often and the skin around the scar line is still pretty hard with next to no feeling. The rest is starting to soften and feel less rock like and the skin sensation is slowly coming back.  It just all takes a long time.  Keep up with the moisturising and massage.

All the best xoxoxox 
  • Michellebella
    Michellebella Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Just reading all your comments regarding lack of feeling etc in Breast 
    area ..I’m still experiencing the same thing ..But what is leaving me in awe , is talk of Breast Physio etc ..I have private health & have never been offered, suggested or recommended what seems to be the norm ...I’m shaking what little hair I have ....
    Im feeling like a one man band at the moment ....In the wrong state I think .lol 
  • viking1
    Options
    @Zoffiel a new job sounds promising! Even if you feel you are going backwards and forwards, you are at least in motion.  Well done!