advice PLEASE on flying/going to Bali after Lumpectomy ( 1 lymph node removal - 6 wks radiation)

Options
starsparkles
starsparkles Member Posts: 6
edited July 2018 in General discussion
Ive had a stage 1 "invasive ductal carcinoma"  removed and 1 lymph node. Got clean margins and not spread to lymph nodes. HOORAY!
I KNOW IM EXTREMELY BLESSED to have got it so early!

Im starting 6 wks radiation soon, due to finish end of aug. I want to go to Bali for 6 weeks to rejuvinate! (been there LOADS of times)
just want some advice or information re: flying (planning 3/4 weeks after my radiation ends) 

Has anyone else gone overseas that soon after treatment?

Comments

• JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Shouldn't be an issue, we have lots of patients that we have to rush through their radiation so they can go overseas. Your skin should be well on it's way to he healed by then (but I'd still be using creams and staying out of the sun). You may still be fatigued but hey I'm sure you can get some rest on your holiday!

Enjoy, I've got my holiday in October and cant wait! Xx
  • starsparkles
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH,,,, are you going to bali? are you a nurse?
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Your welcome, no not Bali, we are doing a 10 day cruise to New Caledonia/Vanuatu! I'm a radiation therapist xx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @starsparkles I went to Cairns 4 weeks after radiotherapy for 3 weeks holiday in the sun.

I had lobular cancer grade 2 - lumpectomy and re-excision to get clear margins.

Only caution I would say is wear a rashie as the radiation site reacts with UV. You also will still be creaming up 3 times daily and maybe more often if the warmth stirs things up so be prepared to take your cream with you. Moo Goo is what many on here swear by - I used Dermaveen as I did not know about this cream at the time. I did not like Sorbolene as did many it seems at the clinic I went to as the bottle in the change room was largely untouched.

I had microstasis in one node and had 16 rounds/3 weeks and my skin held up well.I am a very fair redhead.

One other thing expect to be engulfed by tiredness for a while after radiation ends - in my case for about a week - just sleep when you need it and don’t plan on being too busy for that time as you need to take it easy.

Other than that have a great time in Bali just be careful with UV and make sure you take your cream with you and keep creaming your breast 3 times daily.
  • starsparkles
    Options
    Romla thank you for your great advice, especially about creams! i will be looking into dermaveen for sure  :)
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @starsparkles with hindsight I’d probably go MooGoo for cream based on the comments from many on the blog- I creamed up minimum 3 times daily and more if I felt I needed it.Out of interest I did notice the radiotherapy clinic replaced Sorbolene with Cetaphil in the change rooms for use after zapping.Just make sure you take a good rashie and be careful with uv - heat can activate things too - be wise .
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,579
    Options
    OMG .... With the earthquake in Bali today - you may need to reassess your travel options?  Tho - once things have settled down - they WILL need ALL visitors returning, to help rebuild

(I haven't seen much on TV yet but Lombok and Bali have been hit hard.)

Hoping you are feeling better with your rads & the nausea has lessened or stopped xx
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    Options
    @starsparkles I finished my radiation treatment in August last year and left to go to Europe 2 weeks later, my side effects were my skin was still sore I used Sorbolene and I had a rest most days, when we arrived in London, my fatigue went out the window, traveling is good for the body and soul. We are going overseas in 3 weeks time.
    Have fun in Bali.
    Stork
  • starsparkles
    Options
    Thanx for concern re Bali earthquakes!!
    im still going as already booked and no gov warning not too! (Insurance will only cover if gov says don’t go!) 
    i av assessed the situation and figure if I don’t go then something could happen to me here! 
    I grew up in London wiv constant bombing from the IRA so I believe what’s meant to b will b (obviously I do necessary research to minimise/ weigh up pros and cons.

and I see it ad my way of contributing to these beautiful peoples lives 
    can’t wait