Anyone have advice for me on options for surgery? Newly arrived in Australia

Janie304
Janie304 Member Posts: 17
Hi,

In January I moved to Australia from the UK. I received a mammogram checkup letter in the UK so went along to the Queensland Breast Screening service. Yesterday I was told that a calcification in my breast is problematic and I will be receiving advice on Monday which will most likely recommend surgery. 

I am unsure about the health system in Australia and whilst I have some private health cover (50% with BUPA) I was asked to decide whether or not I would want to use the public system or my private healthcare so that on Monday I can be advised how I will be referred to hospital. I can't seem to find any information which explains how the private/public health system works. I am hoping my GP will call me back but in the meantime, I wondered if anyone had a similar experience, or wouldn't mind sharing advice on what to do/not do in this situation. 

Thank you, Jan
Tagged:

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    With private cover you can have your own surgeon however with so few available if you go public you will probably get the same surgeon.
    In hospital you can go public which means a shared room and a shared bathroom whereas private is a private hospital with your own room and bathroom.
    I went all public and nothing has cost me anything except for any prescriptions I took home. All testing, surgery, and accommodation was free.
  • Janie304
    Thank you Brenda5. This is not how I imagined starting my new life in Australia, but it is good to hear your experiences.  

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    You might like to call the BCNA helpline to chat to one of the very helpful women there. 1800 500 258.

What rotten luck! Wishing you all the best. K xox
  • steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Hi @Janie304 I went all public as I have no private cover so no real choice unless I wanted to pay big dollars. I was in a private room overnight after surgery and have been followed up in public system ever since. I have seen a different doctor on the team at checkups (haven't seen my surgeon since before theatre and even then she didn't operate). Sorry to hear you are facing this newly arrived. There is lots of support here in all sorts of ways. Be sure to request your My Journey Kit and also see the Breast Screen Nurses for your free bra. Hope you do have some tangible support through friends or family here.. hugs.
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Hi @Janie304 I am also from the UK but have been here for 15 years!  The health service is basically the same as UK.  I went public for all my treatment and tests as no private health.  It was all cost free and the care was excellent,  all the Drs and nurses were brilliant.  I wish you the very best with it all.  Take care xox
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    @Janie304 some good advice above.

Just another option you can go private in a public hospital - it means the underfunded public hospitals get some cash and you get the benefits of a private hospital eg own choice of doctor. However as Brenda has said many surgeons work in the public as well as the private system but if you go fully public you may see different doctors across treatment like step lightly has said.

One thing I can tell you if it comes to radiotherapy go public as the out of pocket costs can be high and the treatment is same as private.I only had 16 rounds which is minimal but I was $2000 out of pocket despite top health cover.It is permissible to blend treatment - I know people who went private surgery and chemo but public radiotherapy.

I went private throughout as I had full cover.I was disappointed that there was none of the follow thru after treatment that other
    s received in the public system from breast care nurses.I went to a top private hospital - treatment in hospital was great but once out the door there was literally no support - its all about $ I guess.

If I had my time over I’d go private in a public hospital here .However I have read on this blog that there are differences in experiences across states and within the different systems.I’d be asking about the hospitals in your location 
  • Janie304
    Thank you both kmakm and steplightly. I have ordered my journey kit and noted the breast screening nurse bra. I will give the helpline a call later this afternoon. I have seen the option to go private in public Romia. I only have 50% private cover (which I took out as I am asthmatic) so I will need to find out what they recommend for me and then decide on the best options. I do feel bad using the public health system after only being here such a short time so I will look at options.  
  • Romla
    What area do you live in and maybe some people can give you some clearer options ?
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited May 2018
    @Finch @onemargie (aka Gala Maven) You may be able to help here. 
  • Janie304
    I live in South Brisbane Romla
  • Romla
    There are Brisbane people on here and am sure they’ll come forward to help.
  • Romla
    @LMK74 @Mira may be able to help too @Janie304
  • Romla
    @Vallerina have you any suggestions too ?
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Hi @Janie304, I've had all my treatment as a public patient at the Royal Brisbane Hospital and cannot complain about anything. Nursing staff excellent, my oncologist is great and my surgeon was ok too . I did six months of chemo then surgery followed by six weeks of radiation. I had a mastectomy. I hope this helps.
    XO
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.