WORK DESICIONS??

Options
Smiley_30
Smiley_30 Member Posts: 83
edited September 2011 in Day to day

Ive hit what feels like a major brick wall!!

I am in a position wher i find myslef needing to go back to work! As much as i loved my job pre BC i just dont know if its the right one for me, and th hours are just not something i want to do anymore. I look for other jobs in the same field and i just get anxious!! i try work on my resume and its a BLUR!! This afternoon im going into a Government funded Job agency where i am hoping to get some kind of guide.

Its so frustrating!! i always thought i will go back to my job, but as my treatment came to an end, and i have been returning to a New Norma ,doing new things for ME such as fitness classes and joining Dragons Abreast (which is a personal goal for me!) i am realizing/feeling that its not what i want or i feel i wont be good enough and it scares me!! Maybe it because "I Have To work Instead Of I Want TO"? Trying to figure it all out!!

Anyone else felt this way or has any tips/advice??

Comments

• sandycee
    sandycee Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2015
    Options

Is that such a bad thing to have happen? You entered into this tumultous journey by accident - not be design. Perhaps you were meant to be on the winds of change - to help others - to help yourself. To be more in tune with the You who is YOU!

Don't stress about your "day job" being different - instead look at your new found energies - your new found abilities that have grown from this journey of yours. What have you learned about yourself that you know you are now more capable of doing - and turn these new abilities into a new job outlook. YOur old job belongs to the past and it may just be the dollar you need to bring to the table - however why not expand your horizons right now and think of what you have learned and put that into a new career - not just a job.

Everything you have done so far, has been a decision based on getting YOU feeling better - life - emotional - spiritual - in every way shape and form. The goad of being in the Dragons Abreast is a great goal for you and you will travel along that path for your current need. It may stay with your for life, or wane after a few years. Who cares right now - it is for you.

I say expand your horizons and take the opportunity to capitalise on your new found strengths - inner strength - inner fortitude to not let the beast (of bc) get you down.

Go for Gold - what ever it is and don't look back.

hope this helps you xx

• littlelotus
    littlelotus Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello,

Is your work flexible enough to change your hours to suit you more for the time being? (If you can get them to do that it may be helpful while you are trying to find other employment...............of course you don't tell them you are seeking other employment). I myself am in the process of trying to go back to work, it was supposed to be in a weeks time but was told yesturday with salary insurance issues and weight restrictions it may be awhile yet. If you are getting anxious about returning to the work force maybe seek out a psycologist (you can get you GP to refer you and depending on which state you live in you can get a certain amount of appointments free subsidised by medicare, but you have to make sure you organise this via your GP), I have found talking through the issues and my thoughts with my psycologist benificial, there is no judgement, you can talk to someone who will be impartial as sometimes it is just too hard to talk to your friends and family.  It is amazing the changes we make when affected by this disease, like you I have stated to exercise more, I joined a gym and early this week I also made contact with my local Dragonsabreast club and went down today to the Annual Australian Dragonsabreast Regatta (which is on the Sunshine Coast this weekend) to meet them. These ladies are awsome, to see them rowing in the equivilant to torrential rain this morning was mind blowing. I am curious though as to how they recieved you? I did get a pretty mixed reception at first when they saw how young I was, all the older chooks were so welcoming however there was a lady whom was closer to my age gave me the feeling  that she seemed to be sceptical of me. Good Luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Take care

Kim 

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am a dragonboat paddler.  I just have to correct you - if I may - we "paddle" not row.  After 3 years I have finally got my husband to say paddle instead of row.  I hope that you stick with dragonboating as it is a great exercise for our arms.  I am sorry to hear that some of the ladies were "a bit funny".  Our dragonboat club welcomes others with open arms because our numbers are quite low. (we have lost a couple of ladies to the disease)  We never seem to have enough paddlers and have to cancel - we really only do it for the social factor but also to get the exercise.  A few of us are heading to Bucca near Bundaberg in a couple of weeks for a carnival.  It really gets the adrenaline happening when there is a race on.  I know that the sunshine coast girls are quite competitive but don't let that worry you.  We are thinking of relocating there in a couple of years and when I contacted the club they were very friendly and looked forward to my arrival.  Stick with it as you will get a lot out of it.  Glad to see that there is someone of your age there as well.  Our club needs "young ones" XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am a dragonboat paddler.  I just have to correct you - if I may - we "paddle" not row.  After 3 years I have finally got my husband to say paddle instead of row.  I hope that you stick with dragonboating as it is a great exercise for our arms.  I am sorry to hear that some of the ladies were "a bit funny".  Our dragonboat club welcomes others with open arms because our numbers are quite low. (we have lost a couple of ladies to the disease)  We never seem to have enough paddlers and have to cancel - we really only do it for the social factor but also to get the exercise.  A few of us are heading to Bucca near Bundaberg in a couple of weeks for a carnival.  It really gets the adrenaline happening when there is a race on.  I know that the sunshine coast girls are quite competitive but don't let that worry you.  We are thinking of relocating there in a couple of years and when I contacted the club they were very friendly and looked forward to my arrival.  Stick with it as you will get a lot out of it.  Glad to see that there is someone of your age there as well.  Our club needs "young ones" XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well the dreaded work.  After my last diagnosis I found it really hard going back to work.  I had changed but others were still the same.  I had to end up going to a phycologist because I wanted to "get back on the ladder where I was before bc" and it wasn't happening.   I ended up back in the "trap" of fitting in.  NOT THIS TIME.  I will return to work ON MY TERMS.  I can say this now as I am 55 and can retire and access my super.  Mind you I do need to work to help pay expenses otherwise it is a big burden on my husband.  I love the work I do for BCNA and this is going to be my focus.  Work will just have to fit in.  I am still not sure if I will be able to go back to work in the New Year yet as I have the dreaded "pain syndrome".  Apparently my bone marrow is trying to fix itself and is making all the pain.  Just let it all happen with work.  It will fall into place for you.  Sandy made some very good points.  Don't forget to put in a lottery for this Saturday night - it is a big one.  XLeonie    PS  Did you get that camera back?  If so, would love to see the photos of the dinner night.

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well the dreaded work.  After my last diagnosis I found it really hard going back to work.  I had changed but others were still the same.  I had to end up going to a phycologist because I wanted to "get back on the ladder where I was before bc" and it wasn't happening.   I ended up back in the "trap" of fitting in.  NOT THIS TIME.  I will return to work ON MY TERMS.  I can say this now as I am 55 and can retire and access my super.  Mind you I do need to work to help pay expenses otherwise it is a big burden on my husband.  I love the work I do for BCNA and this is going to be my focus.  Work will just have to fit in.  I am still not sure if I will be able to go back to work in the New Year yet as I have the dreaded "pain syndrome".  Apparently my bone marrow is trying to fix itself and is making all the pain.  Just let it all happen with work.  It will fall into place for you.  Sandy made some very good points.  Don't forget to put in a lottery for this Saturday night - it is a big one.  XLeonie    PS  Did you get that camera back?  If so, would love to see the photos of the dinner night.

• littlelotus
    edited March 2015
    Options

Leonie,

Thanks for the heads up, will start to remember to use the term paddler/paddleing, as not to offend or tread on toes :) . I admire what you ladies do, I am still suffering from the amazement of seeing them all out in the heavy rain today, I am hoping that our wonderful sunshine coast lives up to its name tomorrow to give em a better day.

Kim

• littlelotus
    edited March 2015
    Options

Leonie,

Thanks for the heads up, will start to remember to use the term paddler/paddleing, as not to offend or tread on toes :) . I admire what you ladies do, I am still suffering from the amazement of seeing them all out in the heavy rain today, I am hoping that our wonderful sunshine coast lives up to its name tomorrow to give em a better day.

Kim

• Smiley_30
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much lovely ladies!!! Leonie I had no idea u were a Dragon boater also!!! I wish i was on ur team but Im in Sydney!! I hope one day to race against u ( I mean that in the nicest possible way)..
    Kim, my work has been very supportive of everything, but unfortunately my work was slot if nights and weekends, which I am not prepared to go back to doing. I am seeking help to find the root of my feelings and emotions, which I am very happy about, thank you for ur advice..
    I am very keen to do everything and anything to raise awareness if BC, especially in younger women because until I was Diagnosed I was one that thought it only happened to over 50's! I am volunteering for Pink Ribbon Day in my local shopping centre and getting a group together for Relay for life on the 23/9/11, Macquarie Ryde area!! I am sooo excited and hope to make a difference in at least 1persons life!!!!
    Thank you so much lovely ladies, u have given me so much
    Xx
    Soly
  • Smiley_30
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much lovely ladies!!! Leonie I had no idea u were a Dragon boater also!!! I wish i was on ur team but Im in Sydney!! I hope one day to race against u ( I mean that in the nicest possible way)..
    Kim, my work has been very supportive of everything, but unfortunately my work was slot if nights and weekends, which I am not prepared to go back to doing. I am seeking help to find the root of my feelings and emotions, which I am very happy about, thank you for ur advice..
    I am very keen to do everything and anything to raise awareness if BC, especially in younger women because until I was Diagnosed I was one that thought it only happened to over 50's! I am volunteering for Pink Ribbon Day in my local shopping centre and getting a group together for Relay for life on the 23/9/11, Macquarie Ryde area!! I am sooo excited and hope to make a difference in at least 1persons life!!!!
    Thank you so much lovely ladies, u have given me so much
    Xx
    Soly
  • Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

You never know what I might/have gotten into!!!  I actually was one of a group of ladies who instigated the club here in Rockhampton and was the first Secretary for 18 months.(club started nearly 3 years ago)  Our numbers are low due to a few reasons eg the loss of 4 ladies due to bc and most of us have had a second diagnosis since we started.  We don't always get on the water on a regular basis which is sad but tomorrow we will be out there at 7am.  It is so beautiful on the river at that time of day.  8 of us are going to Bucco near Bundaberg in a couple of weeks for a regatta.  Now that is fun - it makes you really push yourself out of your comfort zone!!!!   Let me tell you, you will need to have an income or a good sponsor because if you really "get into it" there are regattas all around Australia and overseas that you will be able to attend.  With BCNA and dragonboating, I don't have time to work - This is Living!!!  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Today we were out on the Fitzroy river - what a great paddle we all had.  Today was the best day I have had since December 2010 when I was diagnosed.  I felt so strong and paddled very hard.  It is so good for your soul as well.  If you get a chance - just do it!!!!!xLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Today we were out on the Fitzroy river - what a great paddle we all had.  Today was the best day I have had since December 2010 when I was diagnosed.  I felt so strong and paddled very hard.  It is so good for your soul as well.  If you get a chance - just do it!!!!!xLeonie

• SueEllen
    SueEllen Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Smiley :)

Its a hard journey to go but guess what you just made it though one of the hardest ones, so it will work its self out. Take the time to enjoy life, everything else will fall into place. Another job quiet different might be just around the corner,let it come!!! You will never be the same before BC, but once you move on from that, it becomes easier. We all care and hope we can help you  through it. I changed my job and took the stress out of it and it is working well for me.

Take care babe

SueEllen xx :)

• sandycee
    sandycee Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2015
    Options

Totally unrelated SueEllen, I love what you did with your hair. You are so inspirational I am going to look for something similar tomorrow when I meet with my support group.

Stay as positive as you are..

Sandy