Ductal carcinoma in situ

RR
RR Member Posts: 67
edited April 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Good morning,

Does anyone have experience with extensive Ductal carcinoma in situ? 

Thank you x
Tagged:

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in January of this year, ended up having a lumpectomy (which is where I got my diagnosis), a partial mastectomy and then a full mastectomy where a large portion of DCIS was found. Apparently all mine has been removed but I am having preventative chemo now to mop up anything. 
  • RR
    Thinking of you, this journey is awful.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Yes, as the ladies say it’s a club no one wants to join. But it’s an amazing supportive club. Have u been to see a surgeon or oncologist??  Big hugs xoxxo
  • RR
    I have had an ultrasound and mammogram which showed extensive Ductal carcinoma in situ. I have a biopsy on Monday and back to the surgeon on Thursday.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    My understanding is that DCIS is how breast cancer starts, but that having it doesn't necessarily mean that it will start. The biopsy will show how active it is. Grade 1, not very, Grade 2, moderately, Grade 3, very. What your biopsy finds will probably determine your treatment but there are other factors involved as well.

My re-excision found a previously unseen 4cm dogleg of DCIS. I found this website very clear:

http://breast-cancer.ca/4b-atypical/

Good luck, take care, and let us know how you get on.
  • RR
    Thank you x

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi RR I hope that the messages above have helped you find more information .... 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

Just ask questions here at any time the ladies and gents will always answer you ... 

soldiercrab

• RR
    Thank you so much  :)
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi RR sorry you have had diagnosis
     DCIS while not technically breast cancer ...is just as scary as it can reoccur
    Decision making for treatment is often left for you
    Either
    Lumpectomy with rads or chemo
    Or
     Mastectomy ..some choose single or a double...
    Your choice for reconstruction

my surgeon left it up  me to  make decision as there is no difference with stats percentages for reoccurance
    I had single  mastectomy ...as older at 60 i opted for no recon ...ok for me as prothesis insert for bras and swim wear is doable
    Also follow up did not recommend AI therapy 

All the best with treatment decisions
    Bright in hope

• RR
    Thank you, it is very daunting at the moment.

• tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @RR it is extremely daunting !
    like you I am still in the early stages of treatment 
    surgery on Thursday to remove DCIS & some idc , small & early is the initial diagnosis, let's hope that's the case ! 
    Just want it over & feel myself getting overwhelmed & cranky ( luckily my husbands at work or he might cop it !
    so glad I found the lovelies on this network 
    Good luck , thinking of you 
  • RR
    I wish you all the very best - it is just awful xx
  • JEC
    JEC Member Posts: 2
    Just diagnosed here as well. Have to have a second excisional biopsy on Friday to clear one margin - then proposal for radiation. Grade 2 DCIS - how bad is radiation?
  • RR
    Thinking of you x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @JEC Like everything else about BC, it varies from person to person, so there's no real way to tell I'm afraid! There are some great threads here about radiation. You can use the search bar to find them.

We all learn the hard way here to try to take things one day at a time. I'm a terrible one for crossing bridges before I come to them... but after five and a half months I'm getting a bit better at it. Good luck and hang in there. Big hug K xox