Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

CDK Inhibitors approved by PBAC 20 April 2018

Options
Giovanna_BCNA
Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
edited April 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer

CDK Inhibitors approved by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) but cost is still an issue.  

See the link below for further information
https://www.bcna.org.au/news/2018/04/cdk-inhibitors-approved-by-pbac-but-costs-still-an-issue/

Comments

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Many thanks for heads up on progress but we still have a long way to go as has been  said in discussion.
    Good luck to the newly diagonised metters who will hopefuly benefit
    Bright in hope
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Woo hoo!  another step closer!
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Great news @Giovanna_BCNA
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Almost there! Well done everyone,
  • Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Options
    That is great news
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Great news -now we need a reasonable price and soon. Thanks to BCNA and lots of others for advocacy on this. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Awesome news 
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Good news, that will hopefully become great news with cost being factored in for all to have access who need it.
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    SO very pleased to hear and read the news, will be a game changer for those women who will soon be able to afford this drug ,just a bit sad that it looks like it will only be for those as a first line of treatment, and that I will not be able to access them, I will discuss with my oncologist when I see him next month, perhaps by then we will have a clearer picture of who can and who cannot have them.

wendy55 
  • Leapfrog
    Leapfrog Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I posted this on the General Discussion board by mistake.  This would have been more appropriate.

Can someone tell me how the Palbociclib Access Program works?  I'm asking out of interest for women who already have metastatic breast cancer and will be taking it for the rest of their life.  It doesn't affect me personally as I'm on a trial and receive Palbociclib free.  I'm curious about the eligibility.  I believe newly diagnosed women will pay $50 upfront and then receive all scripts for free after that.  Does this mean until the drug is listed on the PBS or for life?  If newly diagnosed women can receive it for $50 for life, why would those who are already diagnosed have to pay for each script when it is listed?  Or am I missing something?
  • Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Leapfrog,
    You are ahead of me on this - I did not think there is an access program for Palbo - last I checked with Pfizer was couple of months ago... can you please share what do you know about this or can anyone/Giovanna add. Would be thrilled to know that is not correct.

My understanding is that Novartis offers a compassionate access programme for Ribociclib -  I don't know the cost to the patient.

I am positive - Keytruda has gone through for lymphoma - immunotherapy trials do include it in some mets BC work - so the door is open on that too, I hope the government will not delay too much the CDKs.

• Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Wendy55

This is the FDA ( States ) approval from 2015
    https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnDrugs/ApprovedDrugs/ucm549978.htm

- and how Pfizer phrased it in relation to the body of evidence - the reality is that if clinically appropriate most women can access it in the States ( they have odd insurance policies that complicate things ...) . There is sometimes a pattern where resistance to hormone therapy develops and using chemo resensitizes one to hormone therapy ( not always but it can happen) so I think in this context one goes with what the clinical oncologist decides is best, not just first line.

PBAC approved what Pfizer asked for and it is listed as initial not first line - iffy I know- so it may be opened to interpretation, firngers crossed.

Definetely check with your oncologist - and also maybe keep an eye out Pfizer may put out a compassionate access program for "others" once the deal with PBS happens.
  • Kattykit
    Options
    I am on the compassionate access program for Ribociclib and it is at no cost to me until they decide on a price for the PBS, then , as I am on a disability pension I  will pay $6.40 per script.
  • lesleyb
    lesleyb Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I am really disappointed.  My onco has told me I am not eligible for Ibrance because it is not the first line treatment for me even though all I have had is 2 aromatose inhibitors and that is during the 5 years I was dx with MBC.  He is trying to get it for me on compassionate grounds once again
  • Kattykit
    Options
    I just made it on by 3 days because I  had been on Letrozole for 27 days and 1 month was the cutoff time.