Reconstruction of Breast

Michelle67
Michelle67 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2018 in General discussion
Hello All,

My name is Michelle  and I am 51 and I am due to have a breast reconstruction in April 2018.  This is the second time  I have been on this waiting list as the first time I decided to defer for another year.  I had a left Mastectomy in 2015 after discover of a Phyllodes Tumour. Due to other health factors my only choice on a reconstruction is a saline or silcone implant. I am asking for advice from people out there that can give me the pros and cons of having a breast reconstruction this way. I have extremly mixed feelings about having this procedure.  I can see the benefits but also the negatives health wise and procedure wise.  I would appreciate it if anyone could offer advice and help in regards to helping me make a decision. Thankyou very much, Michelle
Tagged:

Comments

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Hi @Michelle67 why don't you join the 'Choosing Breast Reconstruction' group (on the right of this page you'll see Groups....click on the heading 'Choosing Breast Reconstruction' and request to join. This is na closed private group because there are loads of photo stories where members share their recon experiences. Nikki
  • Michelle67
    Michelle67 Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou very much NIkki.  Much appreciated.  Will check this out.  
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @Michelle67, I had a skin and nipple sparing mastectomy June 2016 with immediate reconstruction using implant. For me I wanted the immediate reconstruction for a number of reasons. I wanted my surgery over and done with as soon as possible (the majority of it anyway) and I also did not want to go through the trauma of waking up from surgery minus my breast. I was not going to have feeling in my breast after a mastectomy so that outcome would have been the same no matter which surgery I chose. I am very pleased with my choice and the results that my wonderful surgeon has managed to achieve. I have no regrets at this stage having chosen an implant, and would chose the same again. If you have any questions that I can help with ask away. All the best with your decision. Xx Cath
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I  had this precedure and my story is on the breadt reconstruction group with pics.

Kath x
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    Hi Michelle, it's Lisa from the Policy Team. I just wanted to jump in and give you the link to BRECONDA, an online tool which has been developed to help women make decisions about breast reconstruction, in case it's useful. https://www.bcna.org.au/resource/breconda
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Lots of good advice from others, hope it helps. On the other side of the coin, I had no reconstruction in 2012 and no regrets. I never really wanted one, my breast surgeon preferred to do a reconstruction later, which was fine as I was not at all sure, I then decided more surgery wasn't a priority either. I didn't think the scar would worry me (it hasn't), I wear a prosthesis and haven't had to adjust what I wear or what I do. It's an intensely personal thing, and you are doing the right thing in getting as much information about your choices and your circumstances. Best wishes whatever you decide. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Here is the link to join our reconstruction group.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction