That ray of light to all women
on a dark, stormy night.

Love ya Darl xxx

Comments

• SheroneB
    SheroneB Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

I attended my first ever BCNA Summit and it was a moving experience, from start to finish. The women we met, talked to, laughed with, cried beside, dined with and danced with are AMAZING. I can't begin to explain the experience to anyone not involved in our world of breast cancer because it is and was unique. I have tried, of course, but it's really hard to explain the sense of belonging and fitting in when you are with 300 women who have been through what you have been through, and want to do something like yourself, to help raise awareness, to fundraise, to help other women, to pay it forward, or for whatever it is each of us wants to do to contribute to our community and make our journey a worthwhile one.

And during the whole of the Summit there was an underlying sadness that we were losing the leader at the helm, the incredible woman who started BCNA from her home so many, many years ago. We were saying farewell to our fearless CEO and the accolades were genuine and loving, funny and sad, generous and magnificent. We will never be able to count the lives of women she has changed with her single-minded commitment to ensure that no woman would never have endure the experience of diagnosis the way she did. Her story is so like the many thousands of women diagnosed with breast cancer around Australia , around the world, but the difference is what she did afterwards!

So, because of what she has done in the years following her diagnosis and treatment, is the reason 300 women gathered in Melbourne to meet for another Summit, to learn, discuss, support and encourage each other in each of our endeavours to continue to provide support to women and their families, through our roles as Community Group Leaders, Community Liaisons and Community Advocates.

This is what inspired my poem and whilst only being part of this amazing organisation for such a short period of time, I feel so welcomed and part of something truly remarkable.

Thank you Lyn for the gift you have given all women and their families. Whilst you leave BCNA as CEO there is no doubt we will hear of the many wonderful things you will continue to do in your next chapter of your journey.

You're a bloody beauty mate!

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

A huge DITTO.  I feel so special to be part of BCNA.  I tell everyone what I do and where I have been through BCNA.  Everyone should know of the wonderful work of BCNA - and I am trying the best I can!!!!!XLeonie

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great work Sherone.  Love the poem, love Lyn and love BCNA. 

I would like like to share my little "pay it forward" too.

Sherone was actually the volunteer at the chemo ward when I was receiving my treatment.  I was the shy bald one that spent my whole time crying, I was scared and missed my family and children who were not there cause we had to travel for chemo.  I was the only young one amongst all the older people (no offence to older people).  And then out of no where a breath of fresh air appeared .....it was our very own Sherone who told me that she too had been where I was and she looked great.

She gave me hope that there was a life after Breast Cancer and hope that I could survive this and maybe I could give hope to someone like she had given to me.

So ladies, never underestimate the power of the shadow you create!!  And thankyou to all the amazing women like Sherone that make a difference and inspire others to inspire.. 

Love  Tanya xx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great work Sherone.  Love the poem, love Lyn and love BCNA. 

I would like like to share my little "pay it forward" too.

Sherone was actually the volunteer at the chemo ward when I was receiving my treatment.  I was the shy bald one that spent my whole time crying, I was scared and missed my family and children who were not there cause we had to travel for chemo.  I was the only young one amongst all the older people (no offence to older people).  And then out of no where a breath of fresh air appeared .....it was our very own Sherone who told me that she too had been where I was and she looked great.

She gave me hope that there was a life after Breast Cancer and hope that I could survive this and maybe I could give hope to someone like she had given to me.

So ladies, never underestimate the power of the shadow you create!!  And thankyou to all the amazing women like Sherone that make a difference and inspire others to inspire.. 

Love  Tanya xx

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi all, i was diagnosed about same time as BCNA started up in 1998. yes i agree lyn swinburne has done some amazing things over the time.

she has left a legacy that hopefully will continue and grow.

WD lyn.