Prolia injections

Options
adean
adean Member Posts: 1,036
Hi ladies have any of you had side effects from prolia injection. I had mine 3 weeks ago and have realy bad increased joint pain.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Looks like it is a reasonably common side effect. Are you on a calcium / vit D suppliment? Might be an idea to visit GP and ensure all is well. As if we need any additional aches and pains. 

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Prolia.aspx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Was very worried about Prolia injections prescribed to counteract bone thinning of Letrozole from what I read online of side effects.Talked to several friends who have the injections none of whom had any issues .Also spoke to my GP who said he thought Prolia would be fine as he had many patients on it who also had no issues but he did say there could be joint pain issues from Letrozole. I also take 2 Caltrate Bone Health daily and been prior to breast cancer diagnosis.I also was told by Medical Oncologist I would need Calciumand Vit D tablets whilst on Prolia.I do get some joint issues but manage it ok with the above , a daily one hour walk which seems to enable me to walk thru the joint pain as it goes after a while walking , Plus I do a twice weekly gentle stretch and balance class. My guess is you may be taking an aromatase inhibitor like me and that is causing the joint pain but am not a doctor so would urge you to get it checked out.
  • adean
    Options
    No never had any joint pain and been  on letrozole for 4 years and lm also on daily oral chemo for my blood cancer. Ive been so lucky side affect free but obviously the prolia is playing on me. Its mostly at night of course but nothing that will defeat me lol
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I have only been on Letrozole and Prolia 9 Plus weeks - side effects were worst in the earlier weeks but wasn’t exercising thru joint pain initially- also get hot flushes . Could be interaction between them all - I don’t take daily oral chemo. From what I have read on here you may be getting a double whammy of bone thinning as both chemo and aromatase inhibitors like Letrozole thin bones.Could be the Prolia - as I said read worrying stuff on Dr Google about Prolia before starting it - time to get it checked out with a doctor. Please to hear it won’t defeat you -might settle down too like mine did - Just thought I’d let you know they are saying Prolia reduces bc recurrence significantly 18% I think I read.I also take Letrozole in the morning and that was when the side effects mainly occurred. Best wishes and hoping things ease for you.

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Adean hey there!

I'm on Prolia injections and have had 3 in total now since I began, I had joint pain with my first one a few days after, but the next 2 Ive had no symptoms at all. I do however take magnesium in water daily, caltrate and Vit D for over a year now. :) 

x
    Melinda
  • adean
    Options
    Hi melinda its been 3 weeks and still terrible l will the onco this week if it doesnt settle its almost debilitating and lm no sook.lol
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hey!!

Hmmm that's interesting, it could be the Prolia, I have joint pain from Aromasin its just niggly uuugh, but definitely not increased from Prolia. I think it can be a side effect however. I also like the fact that Prolia is also a great guard against breast Cancer, they don't know why but it is :) See what your Oncologist says, try taking some panadol osteo, thats what I do if joints are a little achey. x
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Hi Adean,

I had Prolia injections for almost 5 years - 9 in all, given 6-monthly.  After the 9th injection I had bone and joint pain so badly in my hips and thighs that I could barely walk in the mornings.  My MO and my GP have taken me off the injections permanently.  (I am not frail - I walk on the treadmill at 6.1 for 35 minutes every day and have always been very fit and limber after years of exercise and yoga.)  I really sympathise with the pain you are feeling - as Mel says, Panandol Osteo really helps.  On the plus side, my bone density improved noticeably, and as I have osteopaenia that was a big plus.  I also read that it was a good deterrent against bone cancer mets, but the effects caught up with me.  Tried mega-magnesium but didn't help.  Since my last shot in December, the pain has finally vanished. 

Just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one it affected.  Hope it soon clears up for you. xx