Forum Discussion
lezanne75
8 years agoMember
Waiting for tests and results
Hi I'm new to this whole thing, up until 21/2 weeks ago I had never considered breast cancer as a possibility.
I found a lump in my breast just after coming back from holiday and went to my GP, she sent me off for a mammogram and ultrasound whilst waiting for the appointment i found another lump under my arm. The results came back with suspected breast cancer so not the best news I've ever had, at my appointment the following week with the surgeon I was categorically told it was breast cancer and was referred for biopsy, CT and bone scan. I had the CT and bone scan last week and my biopsy is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, so I have another appointment a week today to find out my results. Can't say I'm looking forward to the biopsy and am worried it will be painful.
I thought I was doing OK and trying to be pragmatic about everything, but had a bit of a breakdown at the weekend which my poor husband bore the brunt of.
I can now think of little else other than my results and what's going to happen next and I'm struggling to concentrate at work.
Only my husband knows what's going on, I haven't managed to tell my family or friends, most of who live in the UK. When I think about telling them my stomach churns and I feel sick. I've promised myself I'll tell people when I get the full picture next week but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
Just feel a bit lost at the moment
From reading the posts online this is a fabulous group of supportive souls,
Thanks
I found a lump in my breast just after coming back from holiday and went to my GP, she sent me off for a mammogram and ultrasound whilst waiting for the appointment i found another lump under my arm. The results came back with suspected breast cancer so not the best news I've ever had, at my appointment the following week with the surgeon I was categorically told it was breast cancer and was referred for biopsy, CT and bone scan. I had the CT and bone scan last week and my biopsy is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, so I have another appointment a week today to find out my results. Can't say I'm looking forward to the biopsy and am worried it will be painful.
I thought I was doing OK and trying to be pragmatic about everything, but had a bit of a breakdown at the weekend which my poor husband bore the brunt of.
I can now think of little else other than my results and what's going to happen next and I'm struggling to concentrate at work.
Only my husband knows what's going on, I haven't managed to tell my family or friends, most of who live in the UK. When I think about telling them my stomach churns and I feel sick. I've promised myself I'll tell people when I get the full picture next week but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
Just feel a bit lost at the moment
From reading the posts online this is a fabulous group of supportive souls,
Thanks
30 Replies
- lezanne75MemberHiya
Thanks to all you ladies, the support from everyone is so fantastic it really has made a difference over the past couple of weeks.
Lesley xx - ShazSMemberHi Lezanne, You are in good hands with the lovely , caring people on this site and it's a great place to have a vent with no one judging take care of you good luck Shazx
- socodaMemberHey @lezanne75, just wishing you all the best. Hope you have a ball at the Caulfield Cup and back a winner!! Xx
- KombigirlMemberHello and welcome,
I'm new too. The waiting is a real pain. I also found out that I have breast cancer 2 and 1/2 weeks ago.
Ange x - primekMemberMost likely. Hope goes well.
- lezanne75MemberCaulfield Cup is on 21st October, my initial appointment with the oncologist is on Monday (16th) so I'm presuming that my chemo won't start until the following week at the earliest. So hoping to have a final fling with my hair before it goes south for the summer..... L xx
- ZoffielMemberSage advice indeed. There isn't much you can control; by keeping questions (and well meaning advice) to a minimum until you have a bit of a handle on things you can cut out a level of stress. There is no 'correct' approach, I think it pays to play it like you would any major interruption to your life. Some of us need space, others want a team hug. Stay true to your own temperament @Thewiseone and you won't go too far wrong. Good luck.
Good news for you @lezanne75. The races sound like a great idea, take pleasure and joy where you can find it. As too working through chemo, only one way to find out... Just don't be too disappointed if you can't. It's a bit of a lucky dip, some cruise through it, some don't. Marg xxx - primekMemberHow soon to Caulfied cup (can't remember)? I did a trip 200k and return about 8 days after chemo...worst over and hair still intact...so you might be able to start earlier and still go. Just saying.
- ThewiseoneMemberI'm in the same boat and just found out yesterday. I don't want to tell people as I'm still dealing with it myself. My adult daughter said to me " then just don't tell people yet". Sage advice. I'll talk about it when I want to. Could be days, could be weeks but when I'm ready
- JenvMemberHi, the waiting for results etc seems to take forever..i found keeping every bit of info helpful, writing things down, asking questions and better still take someone with you for support and questions you dont ask...another pair of ears if you forget something that was said. It certainly is a journey, we are on this treadmill that we can't get off.....take care, once you get a treatment plan you'll go from there and know whats going on.