Zoladex covered by PBS?

LisaO
LisaO Member Posts: 38
edited August 2018 in Newly diagnosed
This Wednesday I will be seeing a new oncologist for a second opinion.  My initial oncologist recommended Zoladex and Aromasin as part of my hormone treatment.  Im researching all I can before my appointment this Wednesday, is there guidelines or restrictions on the PBS cover for these drugs?  I have "Googled" as much as I can but Im still a bit confused..obviously I will ask my oncologist when I see him.  I may even be recommended a different hormone treatment altogether, but thought I need to do my research prior to my visit and be prepared.   I have found a copy of "The Beacon" newsletter dated 2015 which was included in my breast care pack, this outlined PBS restrictions which applied to zoladex, but may be well outdated now.  Thanks!

Comments

• Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    @LisaO I had my Zoladex injections monthly at Day Onc, they didnt cost me a cent but initially I bought the first injection as my own GP was going to do it & it was $38.80 from the chemist. The Aromasin which I think is also called Arimidex is also $38.80 from the chemist OR if you go collect it from Chemist Warehouse its about $20.00...

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited July 2017
    Zoladex cost me $38 per script. One every 4 weeks x 26.
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    I get Zolodex on the PBS but I also get it for free now as I have met the Medicare Safety Net threshold. 
  • EarthWalkerLisha
    EarthWalkerLisha Member Posts: 74
    I pay about $38 per injection for Zoladex monthly injections. I go to my GP who gives me a local anaesthetic  with my injections which he bulk bills.  I didn't know I could get it any other way.
  • KateM
    KateM Member Posts: 6
    Side effects ladies?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited August 2018
    @KateM
    I gather that you are new to the forum so welcome.  If you are enquiring about Zoladex perhaps you are already along the treatment path!  There are links available if you need them for resources https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/my-journey-kit/ 

As to Zoladex I have completed this treatment and my side effects were sometimes hard to decipher between Zoladex and my other medications.  I had the injection alternate side of the abdomen and the month of the left side I made sure I had the couple of days clear so I could cope as it would seem to upset my metabolism.  Right side I didn't have the same problems.  Aching joints, a bit of bloating, were the norm.  I just kept counting them down

Not sure of your age group but this link here speaks of Zoladex and it also gives you an opportunity to further research the BCNA website as well as
    https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-in-young-women/

Wishing you an easy run on treatment, Take care