Breast cancer recurrence

Options
Cyn
Cyn Member Posts: 14
Hi!  
The recent news about Olivia Newton-John being diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, has really put the fear of breast cancer recurrence right back center stage in my head.  I was diagnosed with early breast cancer in 2011, so am six years clear...despite the odds being in my favor of no recurrence, I am, once again, more than ever, scared, that there are no guarantees for anyone.  Olivia Newton-John is one of my all time favorite people, and I am really shocked by her news.  I sincerely hope she will be okay...
Cynthia.

Comments

• Renee_BCNA
    Renee_BCNA Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi Cyn, i know it's quite shocking to hear isnt it. There has been another discussion this morning about this which you may want to be a part of too: http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/16516/olivia-newton-john-now-has-metastatic-cancer#latest
    Let's hope she recovers well and gets back on the road xo
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Niki injal I remembered prior to my diagnosis also being tired all the time and wondering why. That being said it is also important to not jump to conclusions. If your not happy go see your doctor. It is probably nothing doesnt hurt to find out
    .As for Olivias diagnosis well look on the bright side 25 years cancer free wow. 
    I hated hearing that news but I love reading the happy stories on this website of ladies who are surving and thriving after their cancer diagnosis. 
  • Cowgirl1
    Cowgirl1 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Yes that was a shock and it does worry you that after a long time it still can rear its ugly head, we can't keep thinking it's going to happen to me you will make yourself sick, every little ache ,pain isn't going to be cancer. I'm in a bubble I think had it cut out no more cancer all done , now I keep hearing about cancer coming back and it does sit in the back of my mind, what will be will be can't change your destiny with this, be happy ,laugh,live life to the fullest ❤️
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I agree with Cowgirl, I've already had a recurrence at 4yrs, can't change what will be no matter what you do, I honestly don't worry about it, what's the point? as far as I'm concerned, after lumpectomy I was Cancer free in 2015 :) focus on the NOW, get through treatment, there absolutely is life on the other side and I honestly never thought I'd bounce back, but 17 months post chemo now, I'm kicking BUTT!!!! So I don't worry about whatifs, because the time I waste worrying if it will or won't I've missed my life :) Hugs Melinda xo
  • KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    Options

Cyn said:

Hi!  
    The recent news about Olivia Newton-John being diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, has really put the fear of breast cancer recurrence right back center stage in my head.  I was diagnosed with early breast cancer in 2011, so am six years clear...despite the odds being in my favor of no recurrence, I am, once again, more than ever, scared, that there are no guarantees for anyone.  Olivia Newton-John is one of my all time favorite people, and I am really shocked by her news.  I sincerely hope she will be okay...
    Cynthia.

Hi @Cyn

That is completely understandable to be feeling this way, unfortunately its going to be part and parcel of the rollercoaster ride / journey you will go on after a breast cancer diagnosis.  With time it does become easier then bam a celebrity or someone that you know many years clear gets diagnosed with mets and it brings to the surface that real fear of being diagnosed with Mets yourself, not only that but if puts you face to face wiht your thoughts and feelings on death / dying / what ifs.  What ifs are dangerous and something that will do your head in if you constantly think of why me or what if I did this would it make any difference to my outcome.  

I was dx in 2002 and mets in 2012,  I still remember Keryn McCann, Belinda Emmit, Kylie Minogue, all of these did the same for me brought to the surface my fears, where I had buried them in the back of my mind not to be disturbed.

The good news with Olivia is she requires radiation and no chemo at this point and hopefully it can cop a few zaps and behave itself and not flare up elsewhere for a long time.  I know me personally living with liver mets for past 5yrs I'm stable but I live in a contact bubble of scans, treatment, repeat, all good no change keep on going.  

I can only suggest you vent on here, chat to ppl and don't keep your worries bottled up inside as that does no-one any good.  Gosh I've done it again written a darn novel instead of a few words.

All the very best , Hugs 
  • Cyn
    Cyn Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi All,
    Feels really great to connect to all you ladies - don't feel so alone in my headspace...I wish everyone the very best of everything in life.
    Hugs   :)